RG2EX1 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG2EX1

I play just about everything, from metal to R&B and it does it pretty much flawlessly. It's not noisy even through my 7-8 unit pedalboard. I play a Crate GTD65 and there is no hum to be heard what'soever from this guitar. You can get a super grindy metal tone from the bridge pickup and a ridiculously smooth funk tone with the switch in the 2nd and 4th positions. The neck pickup gives a nice clean sound and a nice warm distorted sound for faster solos. The only let down in terms of sound is with the pickup switch in the middle position. It's very bland and not very inspiring in comparison to the other positions. The best thing overall is that it is sort of a blank slate guitar. You can get just about any sound you want just by eqing your amp a bit different.

It's a great match for all the styles I play because of the ability to get single coil tones! I play alot of clean stuff and it does this as well as it does all out distorted chaos. If it were lost or stolen, I would cry my eyes out and then file a police report to get MINE BACK! If that wasn't an option, I would by 5 more of them! When I got it, I compared it to a Schecter C-7, an Epiphone G-400 and an LTD F-50. The neck is what sealed the deal, It fits my hand like a glove and just begs to be swept and shredded to the night ends! If anything, I would add a second volume control.

This guitar has been through hell and back quite literally and its in perfect working order. Never had to adjust anything from the day I got it 4 years ago. I replaced the strap buttons with Dunlop Dual Design Straploks for added security but the stock buttons never waivered a bit. I bring a backup guitar to every gig anyway, but I have never needed to use it.

Mine was the floor model, though it was positioned fairly high up in the store. When I bought it, the changed the strings and set it up very well. The action is low, but not so low as to cause any sort of fret buzz even with the D'Addario 12-52's that I use. The guitar is setup beautifully; no flaws on the neck, not flaws on the hardware, even the finish itself is indestructible! My only problem has been that the pickup rings screws were stripped and it makes keeping the pickups in an ideal place very difficult, though I can't attest for this being a consistent factory mistake. The cover for the truss rod's screws are also stripped so I cannot remove it should anything need to be adjusted. A small click is audible when switching from the humbucking mode to the parallel and series settings on the pickup switch.

This is a 2008 model Ibanez made in Indonesia. It's got 24 Jumbo frets, basswood body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard. A HardTail bridge with the strings going through the back of the body. Strat style body of course with a pair of passive Ibanez humbuckers; a V7 in the bridge and a V8 in the neck position. 5 way switch with positions 2 and 4 being parallel and series, respectively. 1 volume, 1 tone Non locking in house tuners that keep it perfectly in tune.