RG2EX2 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG2EX2

This guitar works for metal, hard rock, blues, just about everything that calls for a "big guitar sound". I play a lot of hard rock and some metal through a Behringer V-amp with a 4X12 cab and it fits perfect for me. Even with such a low quality amp there is no noise. The humbuckers do there job well. Just like with any guitar, there are infinite possibilities for tone, just move your picking hand around.

I bought this as a cheap backup for my Stagemaster that I'm rebuilding. And, to my surprise it plays and sounds better. I would never "lose" a guitar so, we'll go with stolen. Yes, I'd buy another one. I love everything about this guitar, the only thing I hate is not being able to put it down! I was at a tossup between this and a Dean VMNTX. I got this one mostly because the VMNTX's volume knob is in an awkward place for my picking hand position and I couldn't play it without turning down the volume. And, I've heard a lot of great things about Ibanez, but never played one before getting this.

After maintaining I think this guitar is worth taking out on the stage. Everything on it seems to be built pretty strong. I have only had it for 2 months, so I'm not 100% on the durability. The finish, from what I've seen, is great. I've bumped it off of my desk a few times and it didn't leave a mark. I installed straplocks the day I got it, so I honestly don't know what the stock buttons can withstand.

And this is where the perfect review goes bad. When I got it. The neck had a forward bow like you wouldn't believe, the action was way too high. The bridge pickup was almost touching the strings. The neck pickup moved down while playing. I stuffed some foam in the cavity during the last restring and it works fine now. All of the tuners were loose. I asked if they'd tune it up before I took it home, and they wanted to charge me $40. No, thank you. Fortunately for me, I had all the tools and knowledge to set it up at home. I'm almost positive that it didn't leave the factory like that. It was probably because it was on the wall for a year and no one ever maintained it. Also it was tuned to something ridiculous like drop B with .009-.042 strings when I picked it up.

According to the serial, my guitar was made in June of '06 in Indonesia. This is a typical RG setup, 25.5" Scale, 24 fret, Wizard II neck, with jumbo frets. I believe the body is basswood and the neck maple. It's very light, so it can hang off your shoulder forever! The finish looks great. It's white with a painted on, black, binding around the whole guitar. This particular model is a "fixed bridge", or HardTail. This one has 2 EMG designed, passive humbuckers. Again typical RG, 1 volume, 1 tone, 3-way switch. I'm not sure what brand the tuners are, but they are non-locking. GC wouldn't give me a gigbag, so I had to buy one for $20.

FLNagle
    i_spaid1988 wrote: kevinmcg wrote: Why do you need a 5-way selector switch for a 2-pickup guitar? Surely you can only choose neck, neck+bridge, or bridge settings, or am I missing something. You can coil tap to use either the north or south coil on each humbucker
    ... no dude. theres just 3 selections. neck, both, and bridge. i think the stock pickups suck, but i think the IBZ pickups are worse. take note i am switching to this guitar from a Les Paul, so i feel that there isnt near enough bass on it (my amp doesnt have a lot of low end either). i will switch pickups... one of these days... :S
    nikkore1
    Excuse me Mr.absinthe5765 on a H-H setup there are no 2ed and 4th positions so a 5 way switch would be improbibly retarded... FYI
    kevinmcg
    i_spaid1988
    You can coil tap to use either the north or south coil on each humbucker
    mookpirate
    I have this same guitar but in black with the white edging, and I wasnt to fond of the pickups so I had the Kerry King Emg SEt. 81/85 active pickups with a gain boost switch, had to remove the tone knob out, I suggest you do this makes the guitar sound monstrous!! www.myspace.com/wehatemook i have some low quality vids but you could still hear a difference.