RG2EX2 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG2EX2

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Well, I play a lot of different styles of harder metal and some blues and jazz. Mostly just progressive metal like Between The Buried And Me, Opeth, etc. I usually use a Peavey Valveking half, but I also have a Peavey Bandit 112 (both excelent amps, btw). Like I said the wood is particularly resonant and the pickups will need to go sooner or later, so, I replaced them both with the Ibanez V7 and V8's. Both really high output, the notes come out clear and they're super punchy. The clean with both stock pickups on is full and mostly clear, but with pick attack it can have a real bluesy overdrive.

This is just an amazing guitar, we've been through a lot already and it's still runnning! I probably wound't buy it again anymore because of all the work I put into it. I have been playing for almost 4 years now. It was hard to get money for this because I had no job but now money is not an issue. I bought an Ibanez RG1570 Prestige mirage blue (sweet finish). I might review this in a year or so... So look for it!

I have used this guitar in many gigs with this guitar alone. The strap and neck screws are practically drywall screws. Those will not come out guaranteed! Now this is my main guitar on stage (but I do like to use my RG1570 but it's the same thing just with a better neck, tuners, and well pretty much everything.) The finish is really thick and almost hard to chip...so that'l last, too. Super dependable like all the other Ibanez's out there!

The action was super low right from the start. You might have to lower it a tiny bit if you are going to get a lower guage of strings. The intonation was set perfect. The pickups were just far enough away from the strings to not get feedback without loosing output. Not to hard to do, though. The luthier work was perfect, plus the frets are stainless, so, that's good stuff. I have had mine for about 6 months now, and the bridge saddle posts are oxidizing; my house is an average 43% humidity. so I replaced those with graphite saddles.

My RG2EX2 was an 06' and made is Indonesia. The 3-peice maple neck is extremely thin, fast and wide; rosewood fretboard, 24 XJ frets, and dot inlays. The basswood body is very light-weight and seems even more resononant than mahogany; and in sound character is inbetween alder and mahogany so it isn't so dark that it drowns out your notes, but it has more sustain and cut than alder. The electronics are "okay" for a second guitar (this was my second guitar). EMG "designed", Ibanez "perfected" pickups are passive and deliver a huge array of tone. Now, personally, I really dislike EMG because I am for a more chunky-thick punch, but, I have to say, they came pretty close to what I wanted. The bridge pickup is nice and full with a bit of punch, and the neck pickup is good with warming the treble, but the lower ends get really muddy, even with super bright strings. The truss rod is pretty long, which means you might never run out of tread, adjustments are infinite. 25.5" scale is perfect for lower guage strings and detuning, while maintaining tension. It is also string-thru fixed strat-style bridge. All around good intermediate guitar.

nonameforme
    i bought this guitar December of o7 and its a good guitar but i recommend changing out the pickups. neck is starting to bow a little bit about this time though sad but is typical of an ibanez neck.
    nonameforme
    FLNagle wrote: i_spaid1988 wrote: kevinmcg wrote: Why do you need a 5-way selector switch for a 2-pickup guitar? Surely you can only choose neck, neck+bridge, or bridge settings, or am I missing something. You can coil tap to use either the north or south coil on each humbucker ... no dude. theres just 3 selections. neck, both, and bridge. i think the stock pickups suck, but i think the IBZ pickups are worse. take note i am switching to this guitar from a Les Paul, so i feel that there isnt near enough bass on it (my amp doesnt have a lot of low end either). i will switch pickups... one of these days... :S
    yeah i switched mine too. i put DiMarzio pickups in both slots. it sounds really good. you get a nice reverby tone on the neck pickup. very nice for teh sweeping.