RG2EX2 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG2EX2

Purchased from: Local Store

The pickups are almost exactly what the EMG hz passives are, just lower output. I don't like EMG (not enough articulation) anything; not much variety of tone. So I put a pair of DiMarzio D Activators in it right away. (I use a Peavey Vaveking 112 as a head for my 1983 Peavey Sheffield 4X12 cab) Cleans are bright and the low end holds up, distortion is brutal with scoopedd mids. D Activators have so much articulation and clarity that when you play a chord in distortion (Class A or A/B) you can hear each note!

I play anything close to Between The Buried And Me. Pretty good match i'd say. Stays in tune for sredding. Very, very fast neck. Also I use 9-42 elixer nanowebs. I would deffinately buy this again if it were lost. It's inexpensive and easy to "frankenstein." I didn't actually compare this because it was my first Ibanez. I now only buy Ibanez and PRS. I have a Xiphos (red Chemeleon), S5470 Prestige (natural), SE 24, and this. I wish it had coil splitting, that is what I will probably do next, though. I also wish they made onen with D activators or V7-V8 set.

I've been playing shows about once a month since early 2008 and it's still in mint. Though I am almost a master luthier, it didn't take much maintenance! I really recomend this for a starting guitar. I replaced the strap scres with drywall screws as with all of my guitars. It is my main guitar at gigs along with my Xiphos. Finish hasn't chipped yet either.

Came perfect from factory. Standard Ibanez quality. Low Action, near perfectly intonated. Packaged Carefully, etc.Eveythign was properly routed, frets were filed nicely. There were no flaws as I recieved it either. Pickups were a little high for my taste but that is an easy adjustment. Flat top... have'nt bookmatched though so I don't know for sure.

This guitar is made in Indonesia like many other guitars. Mine was a 2007 model and is still holding up nicely. 25.5" scale so you can use lower guage strings, very thin 5 piece wizard II maple neck, basswood RG (super-Strat) style body, oil based finish with opposite colored trim, passive EMG designed dual humbuckers, 1-tone, 1-volme, and Ibanez tuners. Nice set of stuff for a beginners guitar.

J217529
    i have this guitar. i bought it used at sam ash for $225. the person who owned it before me must have been really strapped for cash to get rid of this beauty. it was practically brand new. not a scratch anywhere. it came with an EMG 85/81 Zakk Wylde set. overall, this is an awesome guitar. i love everything about it. and for that price, i could not pass it up. i would have spent more on new pickups than i did the whole guitar!. i would highly recommend this guitar, but replacing the stock pickps is a must for heavy metal guitarists.
    mannydingo
    Just got this guitar used a few hours ago in a trade for, get this, a Digitech RP2000. I like Digitech stuff and own an RP500 and a Digitech GSP1101. However, that RP2000 is a roughly ten year old mfx unit worth about $90 on the used market. It's not the newer RP1000(yes, with a lower model number) About the switch: It's not a 5 position switch. It's a three position switch but in the style of a strat 5 position switch. It's just for those that like the strat type of switch but it only has the three positions: bridge, neck, or both at the same time in the center position. Come on, you guys must have seen this on other guitars before. What's so confusing about that?
    hunter895
    I got this guitar at Guitar Center for $320. I love it. And when I was buying it, I had wanted the Ibanez RG2EX1, and asked if there was a difference. There wasn't one. When someone makes a new model, isn't it supposed to be better?
    Knife Ride
    "Sound: The pickups are almost exactly what the EMG hz passives are, just lower output." really? because i want to get pick ups that sound like this guitar's. i'd really appreciate it if you could get back to me on this as soon as possible.
    shorte85875
    The originals that were made from 2005-2008 have different pickups than the new ones made starting in 2010. All these reviews are of the old version.
    conk3r
    ayy buddie i was interested in your guitar , i saw it on craigslist.org i want to trade you for a dean razor back Db edition its satin black with the drill hole knobs
    edcoleup
    Sooooo.....I'm under the impression that no one in this thread understands "coil tapping"?? Trust me....it's done every day....I have an Ibanez RG 2EX2, switched to DiMarzio, coiltapped, and put in a 5 way.....FREAKIN AWESOME is all I can say about that. Try it....you'll like it!!