RG3120 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG3120

Purchased from: ebay!

Play mostly thrash, speed, death metal and some blues (what what??)...Using a rocktron 20watt amp with it. Extremely quiet on clean (but see note below), with the tone knob giving a full range from deep rich bass tone with good mids to whining sharp piercing one.

A solid guitar, comes with a flamed twilight blue maple top. My only electric, but I took a lot of time considering other options before I settle on this. I would get a Gibson if I lost this one. My only wish is for it be lighter, and for that damn buzz to go away.

MAIN PROBLEM - bit on the heavy side, leading to discomort to some. Ive gotten used to I, but havent used it live. Seems durable enough. No problems yet, But I wonder how that wonderfully thin neck supports all that weight down there.The strap buttons were loose. Had to screw em in.

Set p as it came was alright, but he hing is, on of the strings snapped, and I had to fix it all up anyway. I had to reset the tremolo springs , but it wasnt tight enough, so I had to put in the spare as well, making a total of four (FOUR???) spring to hold it down. there were also a few intonation problems, nothing hard to fix though. Main problem is fret buzz, no matter how I set the string height, it's always there, only on 3rd fret of the first string! Pisses me off, but action can be set extreeeemely low, with only that buzz. Of course, pickups hav to be moved down a bit if you change the action. Beautiful finish, lovely wood - no flaws.

This Model Is Now Discontinued. This is the older model, not the new 2002 or whatever with the crappy new "edge pro" mystery metal tremolo. 24 jumbo frets on rosewood board, two dimarzio PAF pro humbuckers, japanese, solid, bolt on neck, volume/tone/5way pickup selector, Floyd rose licensed lopro edge, double locking.