RG3120 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG3120

I usually play neo-classical metal, like Symphony X, Rhapsody, and Yngwie Malmsteen, but I also play other stuff, like speed metal and classic. This guitar has a nice, clean sound when it needs to, but as soon as you crank up the distortion, it sounds nice and heavy, but you can still hear the notes, unlike the Bronze Warlock, where the notes will all blur into each other into a big mess if you add a little too much distortion. The floating bridge and whammy bar are very sensitive, this might be bad for others but good for me, I just have to touch it and it divebombs. Going all the way down really means going all the way down.

Overall, for my style of playing, this is a really good buy, and for a good price. If it were stolen or something, Id definately buy another one, except maybe in black, just for a change. The only thing I really hate is the tuning knobs, becaus they are a bitch to tune properly, but once you do, they stay there for a while. I wish it had better tuning knobs, and maybe better pickups, without the stupid springs holding them up.

I have only done one show with this guitar, but it was very reliable. If you didn't have a backup guitar, and could only pick one guitar for a good price, I think this would be a good choice. The hardware seems very durable, I've had this guitar for about 2 months now. The strap buttons, I never touched because I had immediately bought a DiMarzio straplock set, the one with the clips, and I love it. They were pretty solid though, had long screws and wouldn't budge at first. Sometimes though, if you palm mute and press down too hard, you might accidentally press on the tremolo system, and sometimes it mkaes you fall out of tune.

I got the red finish, because it looked the nicest. There were no chips on this, and when I got it, they cleaned it for me, and polished it, and it still shines like the day I first got it. Well almost. The action was okay when I got it, but I brought it all the way down, so I just have to rest my fingers on the string to sound out the notes. The pickups are good, except when I tried to lower them, I went a little too low, and the stupid spings came out, and the pickups were messed up until I opened up the guitar and fixed it. This was annoying, since I always adjust my pickup height.

It has everything that the other reviews say it does. Even the sucky tuning heads. One weird thing that I found out, is that if I tune to E, and keep it like that for a long time, when you try to tune it to something different, say, drop D, it will automatically go back up to E after your done tuning it down. I don't know why, but it's cool.