RG320 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG320

Purchased from: Music City Sydney

This guitar can make almost any sound - the tone is easily switched from blues to rock to rockabilly to heavy metal with the help of the pick up Switch. The bridge pick up is amazing for metal lead tones, crisp, clean and heavy - the neck pick up is perfect for blues (SRV, BB.King). I usually use a Marshal Valvestate 65watt and a Zoom 505II and it provides all the tones needed, however switching pick uips from clean to heavy can be uncomfortable at time during performance. The neck pickups tend to be noisy on high gain settings so I recommend bridge for distorted tones. As I said, the Bridge pickup = bright and crisp, neck pickup = rich and full. Pro - ability to vary tone Con - switching during performance may be a pain

I play anything and everything and so on my budget this guitar is perfect for me, especially to reach Metallica and GnR's tones. I have been self taught for almost three years and love playing this. I wish I knew more about floyd roses before purchasing this so u should take care, If this guitar was stolen - first Id find the fucker who stole it, beat him to a bloody pulp, break a bass guitar over their head and take my guitar back (but would also purchase it back if needed). I love everything aboput it except the floyd rose bridge and having to Switch pick ups. I compared it to a lot of guitars and on a mid range budget this is perfect - I chose this over an ESP Fseries which is also great. If I could spend more I would probably go for a PRS but until then I will love this guitar and it will forever be my baby.

This guitar has never failed me during performance (except for 2 strings braking during performance) hence ensure regular servicing and restringing. The hardware should last and I am confident it will not fall apart, regular cleaning and wiping up ensures clean pick ups. I sweat constantly on the body but the finish has not been affected. Everything is solid and can be easily adjusted. I cant afford a backup guitar so I rely on this one and it hasnt let me down so far, however as with all floyd rose tremolos it is handy to have a backup. I also had the wiring soldered at a service as this came undone due to some poor wiring and asoldering and had the tremolo blocked with wood. This is perfect for someone whos not experienced at these things and doesnt wanna constantly have to adjust the settings. This makes it still saty in tune All The Time but doesn't need adjusting when you use alternate tunings.

The guitar was set up well at the factory however needed a service to lower the action and tighten the string tension and it was perfect. The pickups were never adjusted and sound fine. The finish is beautifull red with what looks like transparent tiger stripe. The action is easily adjusted with an allen key (a nessecity with floyd rose tremolos).

I got this baby at a stocktake sale for almost half the price! (rrp. AUD$999), This baby is made in Korea, not sure what yr I think its a 320QS like 2001 model. Its got 24 jumbo frets, 2 Ibanez humbuckers (the bridge one is amazing for metal), 5 way pickup Switch, volume and tone knobs, Rosewood fretboard, I think mahogany body, transparent red finish (beauty!), double cutaway body like a standard Ibanez RG (pics. www.Ibanez.com) Floyd Rose licensed floating tremolo bridge (difficult to get used to). I payed an extra AU$50 for bag and strap. I use Dean Markley Fret Blaster 9's. This guitar has all the featurews needed for either metal through to blues - the pick up Switch allows it to create any desired tone - an amazing mid priced guitar if you wanna invest but cant afford a $5000 Gibson.