RG320DX review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG320DX

Price paid: € 400

Purchased from: Thomann.de

When I was buying this guitar I had no clear goals. I just loved the look of the guitar, especially the flamed grey finish top. Also I always wanted a guitar with a tremolo. So, when it comes to the sound I did not know what I would like to expect, but I did some research before buying it. I have Peavey Vypyr 15, which I got later after buying my rg320dxfm, and boy it sounds great! I would like to change the pick-ups to get more distortion out of the guitar, but it does not mean that the pick-ups are horrible. Pick-ups good enough to deliver some decent distortion sound, as well as some rich clean sound without any noises. 5-way Switch gives enough alternatives to experiment or simple find something that fits you best. So when it comes to style of music, it's ready for anything. Metal, rock, blues, you name it. But I would mostly use it for some alternative rock.

I will not sit here and pretend that I'm some sort of a professional musician. Mostly I play some simple rock and blues tunes, and constantly learning new stuff. I've been playing now about 2 and a half years, mostly I played on my Acoustic guitar, Tanglewood TW170AS, but it changed since I bought my RG. I am really glad that I bought this guitar, I learned a lot of stuff and progressed faster as a guitar player than before. As I mentioned before, I love the finish of the guitar. It still catches my eye after 10 month of use. Thin neck makes it much easier to play. However I'm not a fan of the inlays on the frets, but it's not a big deal. Also I had some problems with changing strings at the beginning, it is a hard process if you have no experience with a Floyd Rose-type bridge. In the end I would point out, that this is a great instrument with nice features for a reasonable price. I would not recommend it as a beginner guitar, but you should check it out. I tried to rate the guitar as fair as possible by comparing it with guitars in the same price-range and their features. I hope this review was helpful and ok, since it's my first review on UG :D Also I would like to apologize if any bad English to be noticed, since it's not my native language. Peace:)

Without any doubt this is a guitar is good enough to try out live. Solid quality and great look gives more confidence to use it on stage. Strap buttons are solid, but I would maybe change them later if I were using it live often. If I was using it on a gig, I would prefer to have some backup. I always like to have a plan-b, you never know what can come up:)

The set-up of the guitar was great, I had no complaints about it. It was already set up with Standard tuning, so I did not have to deal with tremolo. So Ibanez have delivered a great product, as good as it was promised on paper. The Switch can be a little bit noisy when you Switch the pickups, but it does ruin anything at all.

- Made in Indonesia, 2009 - 24 jumbo frets with Shark tooth inlays, rosewood fingerboard - Basswood with flamed finish top, it comes in two colors, grey and yellow. - Neck Pick-Up: INF3 - Bridge Pick-Up:INF4 - Bridge is a Floyd Rose style tremolo by Ibanez, Edge III - 5-way switch, tone and volume knob each. - Accessories included: strap, cable and a gig bag.

salgala2000
    TheDissident
    salgala2000 wrote: That's a really nice finish.. but really... "I play all types of music: metal, blues, rock, alternative".. people need to be less close-minded
    I'm pretty sure as far as guitar players on this site go, that's a pretty fair description of an "all around type of thing". Sure he didn't mention jazz and classical and rockabilly and country but seriously, I think that's a decent statement. Good review, informative and not fanboyish
    crazysam23_Atax
    jetwash69
    jetwash69
    jetwash69 wrote: crazysam23_Atax wrote: Hmmm...even has an Edge III tremolo. I've heard good things about those. MY guitar has a standard Floyd Rose, but I'd be interested to replace it with an Edge III when it needs it. Ha, ha. I have an Edge III, a reissue of the original Edge (on an RG770DX), and one of the better LFRs, and all are time consuming to change the strings (stretching the strings and tuning) but once its done, I haven't needed any adjustments on any of them 'till the next string change, despite lots of whammy abuse... Going on several years now, too.
    For clarification, the Edge III is on a Xiphos XPT700 (neck through & factory DiMarzios).
    bluekirby7
    Pretty good review for that guitar. I was looking at getting that one a while back but i wasnt interested in the Edge tremelo.
    Banjocal
    sounds like a good guitar for the price - good review, and from what ive read, your language is better than most people who have it as thier native language (lol).