RG320FM review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG320FM

Purchased from: Spotlight Music

Has a very modern sound. Good for high mids but not so good for scooped mids. I usually have to turn the bass up a little bit to compensate for the lack of good, heavy sounding pickups. I play mainly metal and hard rock with a little 70's rock. It works good for most rock music, but not quite so well for the heavy metal. It doesn't have quite the bass response I like. Picks up harmonics good, though. Just a little too bright sounding for me. I think if you upgrade to Seymour Duncans or Ibanez V-7 and V-8 pickups it'd sound better.

I've been playing for three and a half years and tried tons of Ibanez RG's and similar guitars and this is still my favorite "Strat style" guitar under $500. It feels great and has a really fast neck. The 5 way pickup Switch provides lots of options and it looks cool, too. I like having the simple Dot inlays (a rare sight on Ibanez guitars) because its a bit easier to keep track of where you are than with the Shark fin inlays. It's a light guitar, easy to play, and just feels great. My only complaints are the pickups and trem, but you can't expect to get a $100 Edge Pro and $100 Seymour Duncans on a $450 guitar. If you want to upgrade, you can do it pretty easily. The Edge Pro fits right in and tons of people change their pickups. I've considered trying to find another several times but they are hard to find. If it was stolen or broken, I'd probably cry and head to eBay. If you think you like it, buy it. It's a lot better than most of the Ibanez's at the same price so don't take too much time second guessing yourself.

So far, I've only had one problem and that was with the Edge III trem. The little plastic bearing broke which isn't a really big deal until it got to where I couldn't get the trem arm bar in. It's nearly impossible to get a new one and it took me about 6 months to finally get one. Then I had to disassemble the whole trem to put it in. Also, the finish on the trem has worn off a lot on the bass side, but I palm mute and rest my hand there a lot so it always happens to me. It doesn't help that my hands sweat a lot too. Other than that, it's still in near perfect condition.

Seemed to be all good when I got it home, but the store always does a free setup on all their items before you take them home so I wouldn't really know how it was straight out of the factory. Has very low action, naturally, and is designed for fast playing. The flame maple top looks good to me. Not quite as good as my cousins PRS Custom 24, but not far behind (better than the top on my LTD GUS-600). Mine is a blueish purple (it depends on the lighting). I think the Amber looks the best, but they didn't have any in that color. Mine has a little defect in the headstock wood, but I think it gives it character.

I bought this guitar in 2007. It's Korean made and was never featured on the U.S. Ibanez site. It has a 24 fret rosewood fretboard and a Wizard II 3-pc. Bolt-on maple neck either satin or unfinished (it doesn't have the thick, sticky clear coat on it). It has a body of basswood with a flame maple top. No binding any where on the guitar. Dot inlays, 5 way Switch, and an Ibanez Edge III trem. Only has two Ibanez Infinity 3 and 4 humbuckers, no single coil in the middle.

nickofzo
    Spawn2 wrote: ..... But it's just a matter of taste
    and THAT is right, .. since i've got a gibson les paul classic, i don't need something else..
    JamieIsHere
    This guitar is insane. I have never felt anything that can be played so fast. Except Steinbergers...I love them. As people said about Ibanez updating; This guitar is a huge improvement over the RG350 although that is also a great guitar. Good price too.
    by will alone
    haha i got one of these used from guitar center for 250, didnt even know how much it was regularly, and the only problem is the tone knob it a little loose
    Corkybristol
    I've been playing and gigging for 40 years, I've got a fair collection of guitars from Gibsons and Fenders to a Larrivee and a Lag acoustic, even a 1980's Ibanez, and I've also got an RG320FM. Which one do I gig? The RG320....it's the most versatile guitar I've got (after modding the electrics a bit to give me single coil options), plays great, looks great, it's as good if not better than most late 70's Fenders (I should know, I've got one), and it's not as likely to get stolen at a gig as my Les Paul would be. These are VERY well made guitars, and it's a shame there are still so many ignorant guitarists out there with this fake snobbishness about american guitars. Gibson and Fender are now made in....CHINA! You want a Yank one, you pay through the teeth for it, and I've yet to play one that impresses me more than my late 70's LP. Wake up, smell the coffee...Ibanez are a good guitar manufacturer, they make good guitars, the americans are not the only people who can build them.
    ScottMclean
    I have a 2007 rg320fm and I love this guitar. I've read loads of reviews about this guitar, some great and some not so great. There are obviously good ones and bad ones out there, but there is nothing stopping you turning a bad one into a great one. Step 1. Buy this guitar second hand, you can get some great deals. I got mine on eBay with a hard case for 230 Step 2. Remove the pickups, when even considering buying this guitar add the cost of new pickups. Have some fun, think of the guitar you really want and buy the same pups, get them second hand if you have too, anything is possible. I opted for the dimarzio paf joe in the neck and the bill Lawrence USA l500xl in the bridge black and cream zebra. The infinity 3 and 4 sell on eBay for about 5 for the set, are these really the pups for you? Step 3. Go onto floydupgrades.com and buy the edge 3 big brass block, mine is being fitted while I type so I am yet to supply an answer if it makes a difference, but I'm hopeful. Step 4. And this is the important one, take your guitar to someone who knows what they are doing and have them install the parts and set it up for you!!! I had my guitar first set up in December a couple of years ago when I got it, and as the months moved on and it got warmer the temperature change really effected the guitar. That is how sensitive these guitars are when they're set up properly. Hope this helps, the whole thing will cost half the price of a premium ibanez and a quarter of the price of a Prestige and what is best is that you had a hand in it. Be original