RG320FM review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG320FM

Purchased from: Used

When I bought the Ibanez RG320FM used it was in a standard configuration and had a couple of minor problems. It was pretty far out as far as the intonation goes and had a couple of cracked string retention screws on the bridge. I took it to Elderly Instruments for a set up and intonation. They rolled the edges of the neck and dressed the frets as well as properly setting the intonation. I have changed the pickups recently to a JB and Jazz Seymour Duncan. Huge difference. I always liked the 5 way switching set up and the neck, but felt the guitar just didn't have a great sound. Now it may be my favorite guitar of the 6 I currently have. I like the way the body conforms to me when I am playing. Either seated or standing it is very comfortable and lightweight. I'm not a divebomber so I don't use the trem much. I leave it unblocked because I like that kind of "Springy" feel like I get with my strat. (I swear that is why so many players fall in love with their Strats.) The only downgrade is the cheap hardware and tuners.

The Seymour Duncan Hotrodded Humbucking set ($99 on sale a Guitar Center) has literally brought this guitar to life. It just screams on the JB Bridge pickup and I can get all the squeals and harmonics I was looking for. The neck is rich and throaty with a kind of "woody" tone much like the sound of the guitar when it is not plugged in (which is very sweet and resonant). This is now the first guitar I reach for. I think the lightweight Basswood of the body gives the guitar very nice string articulation vs. The dark sound of a mahogany body. I can add the "Dark" back in with pedals and still get clear string resonance.

Factory action and set up was weak. Elderly turned this from a poorly finished model into an excellent and playable musical instrument. I have to say I love the Wizard III neck. Fast and flat. Wider everywhere than my '68 Tele, American Strat and Schecter Classic but kind of feels roomy and expressive. I have no problem making the transition from one to the next guitar, and I play all 6 regularly. Great access to the upper register. The cool thing is that once I had this guitar properly set up, it has remained rock solid ever since.

Finish appears solid. I have had this one about 5 years and the only dent is the one it came to me with where someone had dropped it pretty hard. The neck has a very light satin finish that I think is the best of all but my old Tele. It is rock solid electronically with OK 500K pots and the best 5 way switching configuration on the market. This is kind of my knock-around guitar that I drag all over the house. The finish is holding up well and the neck has remained straight and true. I have put straplocks or the oval strap buttons on my other guitars, but the large strap buttons on this one are pretty dependable.

Buy this guitar for the great access to the upper frets, wonderful fast neck and superb switching configuration. Then have the frets dressed and the neck edges rolled by a pro. Add a pair of Seymour Duncan's or other custom pickups and you will have a serious rock machine that can hang with any other guitar you run into. It is lightweight and fits into your body fluidly making it a dream after 45 minutes of playing. Tis has been a great investment. $175 for the guitar used, 99 for the Pickups and $92 for the neck work at Elderly. For $376 I have a rockin' guitar that I will never part with.

mockbel
    I purchased this guitar in 2005 It is a great guitar when it comes to playability and features. Maybe doesn't sound the best due to the relatively cheap pickups but for the price, it is considered a great guitar. The 5-way toggle switch is awesome especially 2nd position (inside coils of humbuckers). It sounds amazing with clean tone. I prefer low action and this guitar can give you lowest action possible. Neck is smooth and the cut makes the access to high frets very easy.