RG321 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG321

Purchased from: Sagevik Musikk

I tried this guitar among many other guitars before buying it. I play mostly Slayer and other thrash/black metal stuff through my Roland Cube 30 with no effects what'soever. Upgraing from my Squier Strat, I was originally planning to buy a Gibson SG. As mentioned, I tried lots of guitars. This RG321, the LTD Kirk Hammett signature model, teh Gibson SG, a very expensive Fender Strat, the Ibanez RG1570 and a Gibson Les Paul. Suprisingly, the only guitars that had sound that I actually liked were the Gibson SG and the RG-321. The RG had a bit more of a chunky sound, where the SG had some more sustain. I went back and forth, forth and back and back and forth again trying out these two guitars. I ended up with the RG321 because it had the most chunky sound of these two, IMHO. I just love the sound for metal playing, very violent and aggressive, and also very hard to explain. The only thing that isn't all that great about the pickups is the feedback you get sometimes. Anyways, if you can't Live with it, buy some new, it's still cheap. It's relatively noiseless. Plays nice on clean too.

I've been playing the electric guitar for about 6 months when writing this, and this is one of the most lovely guitars I've been playing on so far. I love it more every day, and it's such and improvement over my Squier Strat, and it cost me only $10 more! Fantastic value for the money if you like to play metal, although the non-tremolo brigde may put someone off. It's seriously going to take me a while before I buy a new guitar. I play mostly Slayer, and it fits it perfectly. If I want it to match better, I'll just buy some EMG81s for it. It goes through my Cube30 wonderfully. If it were stolen, I'd buy a new one without hesitating, and probably do lots of evil things to the guy Who stole it. What I love about this guitar is simply the sound and playability, you have to try this for yourself if you are considering it. There is still nothing I relly hate about it, but as mentioned, the feedback might piss me off sometimes. If there is anything I wish this model had, it has to be a single coil pickup for clean playing. Nothing else really.

I still haven't played Live, but if I did, I'd change the pickups first, because of the feedback one might get (at least I'm getting it). Otherwise, I'd trust this guitar. Nothing feels cheap, and still it's very light. And because of the weight, I don't think it'll ever fall out of the strap. I'd with No Doubt use it on a gig without backup, although there is always a chance that a string might snap on you. The finish is kind of transparent on this one. I've already given it some scratches and stuff, but it just looks even better. I love it.

The guitar was nicely set up for me. The action was great, although I'm having some fret buzz because it's so low. Doesn't bother me. The guitar has no flaws (yet) that I've found. The neck is great too. No flaws in the finish. The intonation was good. Pickups were also nicely adjusted when I got it. If there is something I'm going to do with it, it's going to be to raise the bridge a little, to avoid all that fret buzz, but it's not really that important. The guitar fits me like a glove.

carfreak142005
    i bought this guitar about a year ago... its been great ever sense. the neck is really easy to slide up and down on. the only bad side i found about it is the bols on the pick ups fall out easily some people might say the ibanez curse.. o well besides that this is a GREAT guitar its better than any epiphone or shecter or any other guitar in its price range..great buy
    chhristian
    how come its so hard to find a black one nowadays? all you can find is in mahogany oil or gray nickel. I really want it in a dark color, being black.
    tlfdfirefighter
    All I have got to say is that the mohagany oil might not look like it would fit an electric, but let me tell you it suprised me when I took the risk to buy it. as soon as I took it out of the box it amazed me. I havn't had the problems some other ppl have had tho...like the bols on the pups...which is strange. I havn't had any screws come loose either, just change it to your liking and itll play like a dream. I play metallica and it sounds awesome with that style, I am playing it through a Line 6 Spider III combo amp.
    On Neptune
    Does this guitar have a thru-neck? i was playing a guitar and its like this 1 but it has a thru-neck, anyone help me?
    tlfdfirefighter
    this guitar doesn't if you go on guitartrader.com there is a black ibanez that is an RG, it looks similar but has shark tooth inlays...it is actually the guitar that I am looking into next.....lol. it is $580.00 I own this guitar too and it is awesome I have the Mahogany oil finish....the web adrress to the thru-neck is http://guitartrader.com/itempg.icl?order... 134429853132775C423C010&s ecid=1021&subsecid=1090&c atid=0&dirpage=dir2&itmid =50764&eflag=0&curitempos =3&numitems=10 this is cool guitar, if you click the image you get a bunch of cool pics of it...thats why guitartrader.com is so awsome...cool pics lol
    Onji
    i just bought this guitar recently and it was worth every penny and more. dont let the pictures of the mohagany oil finish fool you, it is BEAUTIFUL
    ronan-the-great
    tlfdfirefighter
    ronan-the-great wrote: i have the 321mh in weathered back it kicks ass. anyone know about the emg designed pickups on new rgr321ex arethey active or passive
    I just had a chat with a guy from guitarcenter.com and he said they're passive so...yeah
    buddyhimself
    i rest my hand on the bridge A LOT. i used to have an Ibanez, but whenever i rested my hand, it created pitch differences, does that happend with this guitar?