RG321 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG321

Purchased from: ebay

I play mostly metal, and I use this guitar with a Peavey Vypyr 30 amplifier. It's sound is very similar to my other two guitars (a bc rich Bich masterpiece and a beast), and that's the only comparison I have, so I guess it sounds ok to me, no more, no less.

I've been playing guitar for over 25 years now, and I mostly play 80s metal like Helloween and Metallica. This guitar is made for the metal player. The low-profile Gibraltar bridge is really awesome, very comfortable for palm-muting. Still there are some things about it I do not like and that I will try to avoid in the future. For one, I find the nut too big, I mean by that the strings are too high at the nut so it is very difficult for large fingers to make open chords without muting adjacent strings. And that darn volume knob is way too close to the bridge pickup and gets in the way when palm muting on high strings. For these reasons if it were stolen I would not replace it. I bought this guitar mainly because I wanted to try a 25.5 inch scale neck, and I must say this neck plays very well, all the way to the 24th fret. I would say this is a shredder's guitar, but as I said unless you have tiny fingers forget about open chords.

I do not gig, so I really couldn't tell if this guitar would withstand live playing. It seems solid though, and the finish looks good enough to last. All the hardware is metal, no cheap plastic knobs here! Owned it and played it for a couple of months now, and it seems tough enough to me, but it does go out of tune a little quick for my liking.

The guitar was very well set-up at the factory (action, intonation, and neck curvature). The only thing was that the two humbuckers were a little bit low to my liking, and to raise the bridge pickup I had to shorten the adjusting springs a little bit. As far as I can tell it had no flaws whatsoever.

This guitar was made in Indonesia in 2010. It has a Strat style mahogany body, a Wizard II neck with 24 jumbo frets and a bound rosewood fingerboard, a Gibraltar fixed bridge, EMG H4 & H4A passive humbuckers, one volume and one tone, with a three-way selector switch.

doctrdoctr
    MY Rg321MH is my Fav. guit of all time. I can tune it down to A flat and depending on the attack it makes a great phasing sound, ala Meshuggah. I can also tune it to C sharp and make some iller solos as in DevilDriver. But my 2 RG 320s are awesome too. 1 tuned standard and the other drop D. Those wammys are fun.
    Cran593
    Ive played this guitar for about 1 and a half years now and the things I dont like about the guitar is that it isnt very compatible with drop B tuning (or lower). I use 12-54 gauge stings and no matter how high I have the brige bit for the strings, it will always make a buzzing noise on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd frets. The guitar doesnt really have the best durability either, the steal parts on the guitar started to mold after not too long and the screws for the pickups are fairly dodgey, the neck also feels pretty loose like it will fall off easily if I push it too much. Other than that id have to say that it is a very good guitar for its price
    Mr. Strat Cat
    tlfdfirefighter wrote: usually mahogany has a warmer tone and is an all around better wood.
    I heard that basswood is more balanced, though. Is that true?
    tarlkea
    Basswood has a pretty even tone. It's just slightly off centre on brightness.
    TehHazza
    Is it good for its price, or is it actually a great guitar, for intermediate players?
    Kyle?
    I bought this whilst my Dean ML was being repaired, and this kicks the Dean's ass. This is now my 1st choice guitar, if you swap the pickups for better ones, you've got a really good instrument on your hands.