RG321MH review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG321MH

Purchased from: Read Franklin and Heywood

For the price, this guitar sounds f--king great. I've compared it with 900 quid guitars and it's blown them out of the water. I've played this guitar through Marshall solid-states as well as Valves, Line-6's, Rolands, Peaveys and some beastly amp once of which I didn't have a clue what it was. I also run it through a Line-6 Uber Metal Pedal sometimes. Anyway, the guitar sounds great on all sorts of equipment and settings. You can get great crunchy sounds, heavily overdriven and even nice acoustic sounds. It's a real overall performer but without a doubt does better playing the heavy stuff with lots of low-end and distortion. A great guitar for someone like me Who some days will thrash out some All Shall Perish and others be bopping along to Kings Of Leon. As a fixed-bridge, string-thru, it's tone is suburb and isn't at all noisy. Though of course, changing the pickups from the Standard Nez ones would do wonders.

For a guitar as cheap as this it's simply brilliant. At the time of buying, I compared it to many other guitars around the same price and this defiantly was the best. It even out performs friends guitars I've played which cost them over three times the price, though I'm not going to drop names. The thing I love about this guitar is it's tone, looks and simplicity. The only thing I'd change is the pickups, the Standard ones are good but a couple of EMGs in there would make it amazing.

This guitar has been constantly bashed around like you wouldn't believe for around 18 months. The neck has been twatted into assorts of things; fence posts, door frames, and god knows what else. It's been dropped, stood on and generally abused to be honest. Despite all this, it still works perfectly and all the hardware and controls are intact. The only damage to it is some minor dints and scratches in the body. Oh and a cross threaded nut on the input, but that was my mate f--king about. Anyway, this guitar is solid, I'd gig with it without a backup with no fear of it breaking what-so-ever.

The 321 I have currently is my second. Unfortunately when I first bought the guitar the pickups were loose as the fixings had been damaged and the guitar had to be replaced. This however was a problem with THAT guitar, the one I have now is fine. There was no problems with the factory setup, though I did lower the action very slightly but that was probably just a personal preference. The finish is "weathered black", it has silver hardware and looks mighty cool.

This guitar has pretty Standard stuff but it's good. 2 Standard Ibanez double humbuckers, Standard Ibanez fixed bridge (string-thru body), and Standard Ibanez tuners. The neck is a Wizard 2; it's thin, wide, fast and has 24 jumbo frets; great for shredding on. As for controls, there's a 5-way pickup selector, a volume knob and a tone knob. I got the guitar with a gig bag, strap and cables.