RG321MH review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG321MH

Price paid: A$ 450

Purchased from: Kosmic Sound

It really suits metal, tho it can do punk and heavier music styles. Personally, I stick to punk, metal and hard rock, and it rocks at all three.I run it thru my Roland Cube 30X and occasionally thru a DigiTech wah and some Zoom multi fx pedals, and the sound produced is always top notch. Very little feedback I've found, tho if you treat it too ruff youl probly damage the wires and shit and break up the sound, resulting in huge feedbak like wat happened to mine a wile ago. Got it fixed tho, and it's as good as new! just treat it like a classy guitar and it'll give you classy sound. I find it gives a really rich, full tone with the bass and middle turned right up, tho the treble can get a bit too clangy when it's turned up high. Without gain, the sound can be a bit weak, without much kick, especially noticeable when you care it to somethjing quality like a Fender or Gibson. But even so, it don't really matter because with an RG you should stick to the heavier stuff anyway, they all play that kind of thing better, and when you play to this guitar's strengths, it gives an absolutely sweet sound.

To be honest, only get this guitar if you're a beginner or intermediate guitar player, aren't interested in all the psycho whammy shit by the likes of satriani, but just want to play some straight blues, punk, rock or metal. especially metal. Definitely metal. In fact, if your on a budget and love metal, this is the only real option. Who gives a shit about the loss of a whammy when you trade it for playability, tone, style and dependability like this! This is a rocking guitar, I love it even with all its faults. Hell, even when I get round to buyin my very first Jem (it'll happen) I'm sure I'll look back on this with fond memories. it's just that good.

Live playing should be fine, as long as you don't ding it up onstage. And don't expect anyone to be wowed by the guitar, it's just not quality enough yeah? But for what it's worth, it gives a hell of a lot more than other guitar models, and gives an unexpectedly smooth tone and preformance, as long as you stick to playing what it's made for, and don't miss the whammy too much. The strap buttons are solid, and it hasn't conked out on me yet when I've used it at gigs, and all in all it makes a solid Live guitar.

The set up was alright, everything in reasonable condition, nothing too dodgy. I've had to do a couple of fix up jobs, but all the essentials, the finish, the hardware, etc. wrere in place. Just don't expect any awesome quality here. Everything on the guitar was positioned correctly, and definitey nothing was even close to fallin apart, but still, could've been better.

The RG321MH is a siiiik guitar. It's a Strat copy body but with that Ibanez gem and classic RG style, with 24 jumbo frets. Nice for metal and shredding, sweeet tone. The nck is smooth as, nicer than almost every other mid range or cheapo guitar around, and just as good as some of the more expensive models. really nice to play on the thin nck, sweet for technical passages and shit. Fixed Bridge with two infinity Ibanez pickups (inf3 and inf 4). It's got a 5 way selector for the pickups, and delivers a great versatility in tone. All settings are usable and everything is reasonable for the price. One thing tho is that the volume control was a bit a wobbly with mine, but that's just cos my circuit board was kinda screwed when I bought it, so I had to fix it up myself. Everything else was in great condition, even tho I got a pretty bunged up display model. The fixed bridge may be an annoyance for some, but the guitar's tone and it's tendency to stay in tune (very rarely does it go out of tune) makes it alrite. The finish on mine is nice, real smooth and even, even tho I hat the color (it's a crap gold/silver colour better to stick with the black or sumthin). Great for playing metal, though hard rock, punk and heavier blues go well with it too. Personally I play metal and punk, and both give great tone (when I run it thru my Roland Cube 30X, tho with this combo it's obvious the metal sounds a bit better). Besides, rgs are made for metal neway, so wat r you doing playin anythin else? But really, I gess this guitar doesn't have that much variety, but when you play to it's strengths, sitcking to straight riffing, shredding o wateva, it gives sweet functionality and playability.