RG321MH review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG321MH

Purchased from: Wembely Guitar Centre

This guitar was designed for metal, I should have known this when the guy in the shop said it could easilly be tuned to drop D. Although I do not play much metal I have found that this guitar is very adaptable to different styles of music, I have played acoustic, blues, alternative, and metal with this guitar among others, and while it stands out as an awesome guitar for metal it is also passable for many other genres. I played this through the Kustom 10 watt amp it came with and the sound was good, there was a lot of variety. I now play through a Boss MD-2 Pedal and a Rowland Cube30 and the sound is amazing, it has a very good distorted sound, although the sound is not very bright (that may be because I use nickel plated steel 10 gauge strings).

I play a lot of differnt genres of music, and this guitar is versitle enough to allow for this. I have only been playing for a year and would recomend this as a good starter guitar as it is simple, although I find you have to push hard on the strings, maybe I need to adjust my bridge. I did not do much research into guitars before buying, and so am very pleased with the guitar. If it was stolen I would probably spend a bit more money and get something better, perhaps a Gibson or a Fender, but I am glad I started with this guitar. I compared it with another Ibanez, which had a baswood body, but was not fixed bridge, I don't know the model, I chose this one because of the superior soud of the mahogany body and the simplicity of fixed bridge. I do wish it had a locks on the tuners, I could install this myself, but am frankly too lazy. Overall it was a very good buy as a first guitar.

I have never played Live with this guitar but would happily do so. The strap buttons seem solid but I would get strap locks if I was playing Live with this guitar. I have had minor issues with the lead input, the nut works loose over time, meaning unless you tighten it every so often it comes loose. I would gig with this without backup, but then again, I don't have any other guitars. It has a few scrates and dints, but it has not had an easy life! The paintwork has been lost in two places, but this is more my fault that that of the guitar.

I'm not an expert on the set up of guitars, but the action seemed fine to me, not too high or low. The pickups were way too far away from the strings when I got this guitar, but that was easy to fix. The chrome was oxidised at places but this doesnt't really bother me. When collected the guitar was in good working order.

This guitar was made in indonesia, I have no idea what year. It has 24 jumbo frets. The body is mahogany, the neck is maple and the fingerboard is rosewood. It is finished in "weatherd black" which basicaly means you can still see the grain of the wood. It has a string through body, passive pickups, and has one volume, and one tone control, it has a 5-way selector for the twin humbuckers. It has non-locking no-name Ibanez pickups and came with a Kustom 10 watt amp, a soft gig bag, a lead a strap, and three picks.

ShredBane
    does anybody's chrome guarding the pickups oxidise (change to a darker colour) in places? cos my bridge one is lol
    bokma
    I bought one of thise used... Rusty pick-ups Damaged scratched up finish I LOVE IT