RG321MH review by Ibanez

• Reviewer's score: 6.6 Neat
Ibanez: RG321MH

Price paid: C$ 400

Purchased from: Axemusic.com

I play primarily metal, and this guitar is perfect for it. The combination of mahogany and the infinity pickups creates a warm, heavy sound for crushing metal riffs. The sustain was very good, which surprised me because it's a bolt on. This guitar handles cleans very well, and has a very organic, warm tone quality to it.

When it was functioning properly, it was a fantastic guitar well worth the money. When it crapped out, it was useless, so this is a very subjective topic. If it were stolen, I'd probably get something else, just because I like to diversify and try new guitars.

As i've said, this guitar is tank. Apart from the strap buttons, it could survive a nuclear holocaust (maybe not, but it's still tank.) If it wasn't for the bloody neck, It would be dependable, but never never gig without a backup; you just never know when shit will go down.

Here's where the problems start. When I first opened it from the box, the action was so low that the strings were sitting on the 24th fret. Not a big deal, so I just raised the action. After that, I don't know what the hell happened, but the action went from flawless to absolute garbage. I didn't touch the truss rod or change string gauges, but the buzz got progressively worse to the point that it was pretty much unplayable. The body was exceptionally well built, because I managed to drop it about 3 times, hit it against too many walls to count, spilled rum all over it, and the most damage I got was a hardly noticeable dent. Strap buttons were pretty solid, although they are kinda small, so straplocks are recommended. Amazingly indestructible body, useless neck. Perhaps I just got a dud off the assembly line, so take that into consideration from my rating.

This guitar is a 2009 model, 24 frets, jumbo frets, rosewood fingerboard, mahogany body, bolt on uber thin flat maple neck, satin oil finish with Ibanez infinity 3 and 4 pickups and Ibanez none locking tuners. Strat shaped body, passive electronics, and didn't come with any case (although Strat cases are wicked easy to find).