RG321MH review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG321MH

Purchased from: Axe Music

Since I got this guitar, its been setup for C standard and I use it exclusively for my melodic death metal playing, similiar to Arch Enemy. Being run through a Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo, its easy to pick up on the uselessness of the stock INF pickups, which I wouldn't even use to throw at people. Its since had a swap to DiMarzio X2N (b) and Air Norton (n) drastically improving the sound. I found the stock INF pickups to be highly muddy and not very articulate, but for its price they aren't half bad.

For metal and harder rock styles, this guitar is worth looking at, especially if your on a budget. With a good pickup swap, and maybe a tuner upgrade its not a bad guitar by any means. Were it to be stolen or lost, I'd get another one because it really is a hidden gem, that with a few modifications can stand up next to some mid range guitars quite well.

This guitar will definitely withstand live playing, and it has for me already on several occasions. The tuners aren't exactly phenomenal, but they do their job and require only small amounts of tuning during a live set. I can't comment on the stock strap buttons either, as I replaced them with Schaller locking ones almost immediately. I wouldn't use it without a backup, purely because you never know what can happen during a live performance, but if it were Faith based, then I would. The finish seems like it'll take a beating for a while, but I tend to baby all my guitars so again, I can't say too much about the strength of it.

I can't comment on the factory setup, because when the guitar was given to me by Axe Music, it had already been setup for C standard and to my own personal preference. Some faults I have found though include a few sharp edges to the neck binding, a small dent in the neck on the 3-4 fret on the bass side, but that's about it. Again for its low price, I wasn't expecting flawless construction, so I can't complain too much.

Basic Spec rundown: - Indonesian built - 24 frets - 25.5' scale - rosewood fretboard - Bound bolt on Maple neck - Wizard III neck profile - Mahogany body - Ibanez Gibraltar bridge - Passive Ibanez stock INF 3 & INF 4 pickups (H/H) - 1 volume 1 tone control - 5 way blade selector switch - Non locking Ibanez stock tuners

balisain
    Got one and put an EMG 81/85 set in it. It's now a glorious crunch machine for endless chugga-chugga!