RG350DX review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG350DX

Purchased from: Tom Lee Music

My guitar runs through a Vox DA10, at times a Laney 100w and occasionally a POD X3. In each instance the guitar is amazingly versatile. The amount of different clean tones accessible with the just the guitar's tone knobs and pickup Switch is amazing. And in overdrive or distortion the pups do not disappoint either. The RG can hold a considerable amount of gain without buzz, and the pickups are hot enough for some screaming pinch harmonics.

Generally, I think this is a great starting guitar, (though you should still keep someone with some experience with tremolos close by) and it would still come in use in the later years of your guitar playing career. The versatility serves consistently, and not to mention you get much more than you pay for. Although the durability of the finish could be improved, I'd probably buy it again if it was lost. (If I had the money that is....)

This is where the guitar could do a little better. The body it self and it's hard ware are durable and reliable, (I've played this guitar in several gigs, never once has it failed me) but the paint finish is very easily chipped. There are chips on the top and bottom of my guitar, and not once have I dropped the guitar from a great height or anything of that sort. And the strap buttons, in 2 or 3 years of ownership have only failed me a total of 3 or 4 times.

The stock setup didn't require any extra adjustment from me, and still today I haven't changed it and it sounds just as great. There was no gripes from me when it came from the shop. The action was at the proper height. The pickups were properly aligned. The hard ware was perfectly placed, nothing wonky or in shoddily routed cavities.

This guitar was made in Indonesia in 2003. The maple Wizard neck sports 24 easily and extremely quickly accessible frets. The basswood body itself has two cut-aways in the asymmetrical devil horns style, similar among superstrat type guitars. Mine has a glossy black finish with a Edge Floyd Rose tremolo system. The tremolo system works great but will require a great deal of fiddling if you plan on changing string gauges or drop tuning. (And in some cases, just tuning!) The RG has three Infinity pickups in the HSH configuration changeable with a 5-way Switch.

UHATEIT
    I just bought a used one 2 weeks ago of craigslist for $220 with a hardshell case and upgraded pickups all to EMG HZ, the guy even threw in a digitech Rp-80 footpedal in the deal and the plastic cover was still on the pickguard. I had been wanting a white guitar for a while, I decided to go with this Ibanez as it looks pretty cool, I wasn't a fan of the perloid pickguard I thought that was a bit fruity at first. I would say that the guitar overall sounds bitchin, that may be due to the upgraded EMG pups, but the 5-way switch is great and you can get a lot of tones! I am hearing feedback from the guitar tho whenever its set to the middle 3 clicks (which throw power to the single coil pup in the middle) I'm still working at adjustment on the tremelo, tuning it is a bit of a bitch and was hard to get perfect when tightening down the top nuts they would go out of tune slightly when tightened all the way. Either way, for the price I paid it's an absolute steal!