RG350DX review by Ibanez

• Reviewer's score: 6.6 Neat
Ibanez: RG350DX

Purchased from: Matchetts

I am a frequent metal player but I tend to play a lot of classic rock and jazz mixed into my time. I use a simple Roland amp on metal setting (only a quarter of the full distortion up) and a Boss Super Overdrive pedal. Over time, I began to detest the pickups, and replaced them with Seymour Duncan Sh-8 Invaders. It produced a far nicer sound and got rid of the buzz that I was constantly getting from the INFs no matter what amp I used.

This guitar has indeed been good to me over the three years I have owned it, but I feel that it has now run it's course. Though I can safely say out of the 5 years that I have been playing, and over four other guitars, this one has been the best and most reliable of them. I have learned arpeggios, sweeps, melody and improvisation on this guitar. It will be dearly missed. If I was to get another guitar, I would buy a Schecter. I once ran into a guy who had bought a Schecter Hellraiser C-1 with FR. We played each others guitars and I found that the neck on the C-1 and the body was the most comfortable thing I had ever played. It put my Ibanez to shame, sadly. I feel this is a good guitar for intermediate players, due to the poor reliability I have had with mine. It is easy to adapt to playing it but I feel it is not a guitar that you would be able to keep in check for a very very long time.

This guitar would definitely not withstand live playing. Or at least not my one. The moment I touch the Tremelo it goes out of tune. Also, seeing as how it put it out of tune constantly, I never use the Tremelo and yet it has severely dipped into the body. I have had this fixed four times so far and it still drops in without me touching the Tremelo. Maybe that's because I've had the guitar for three years, but I am unsure. I believe that if the guitar was fitted with a Licensed Floyd Rose it would be fine. The finish seems to withstand any sort of punishment and has not lost it's Shine even without having to polish it. Though I noticed some paint coming off the hardwear.

The action was fine when I picked the guitar up, asides from that the strings constantly buzzed on certain frets, particuarly (poor spelling, apologies) above the 19th fret. I cannot fairly judge on the pickups, as I replaced them not long after purchasing the guitar due to constant buzzing.

The Ibanez RG350DX was introduced in 1998. It features an Ibanez double locking tremelo, though I am unsure if they have a model name for this. I was greatly disappointed to discover it was not a Licensed Floyd Rose and that it was not a screw in bar. The guitar features a Rosewood fingerboard, a basswood body, 24 jumbo frets and sharktooth inlays. It comes with three INF pickups, two doubles and a single. Passive. It has a 5-way selector, a volume and a tone. If you bought the white finish, it comes with a very nice white pearl scratchplate.