RG350DXZ review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG350DXZ

I play music from blues to metal, and occasionally dabble in jazz and classical. - The neck pickup is quite creamy, and can give a very thick bluesy or distorted sound. It is a bit too bassy imo to play low open chords like Em or G but sounds great with almost anything else. - The single coil gives a great clean sound but from factory set up it was too low to compare to the volume of the humbuckers. After raising it a bit, it soubnds very good apart from the infamous 60 cycle hum. - The bridge pickup has some bite but it is very trebly so be careful with your tone knobs on distortion pedals. Imo it is the worst stock pickup on this guitar. I play through a Jekyll And Hyde (Visual Sound) and a Line 6 Spider IV 30 and it sounds pretty good. I have also played through my friends' Deluxe Reverb and Egnators and there is a huge sound quality difference. This guitar sounds great but make sure you are playing through a decent tube amp. All in all the sound quality is good, but the bridge pickup is too treble oriented with barley any mids or bass.

This guitar has a very easy to play neck, which is a great appeal, and a stable locking nut, making it a cheap platform to upgrade if you are dissatisfied with only one or two of the pickup's tone. If this guitar was stolen, I would probably get a different one, only because tuning is tedious.

This guitar is guitar durable, after being dropped many times. The paint is starting to chip after a year but that is to be expected. I would gig without a backup only if I was playing in multiple tuning, because as I said, tuning this thing is very time consuming and I would not want to have to add that pressure while on stage.

The guitar had a great, low action with no fret buzz, however I was very disappointed with the tuning stability IT was set up with .09s. Through experimentation I found out that divebombing will shake it out of tune unless you use 10s or heavier, so use your discretion. Other than that, as I said the single coil was a bit too low, but it was other ise perfect with no cosmetic flaws.

My Ibanez RG350DXZ (white model) was made in Indonesia 2010. - 24 jumbo frets - Ibanez Wizard Neck (very thin and fast) - Basswood Body with a super-strat shape - Equipped with a floyd rose trem and locking tuners. It is tedious to tune, string and intonate, but the strings can stay win tune for a week or two, and will not go out when bending or dive bombing. One thing to keep in mine is you have to tune through each string a few times because the floating bridge needs to adjust to the new string tension. - The pickups are configured HSH with a 5 way pickup selector, - Neck - Bottom coil neck, single coil - Single coil - Single coil, top coil bridge - Bridge.

FuruiShin
    Setting that trem is a big pain(2 springs aren't just enough). Let's add the fact that there are no real factory made schematics which would show up what 'parallel to the body' means for this Edge Zero II in the first place. Paint started to wore out of it and it's screws after 3 months . This guitar still plays great however I would get one with original floyd rose now or at least with higher-end Ibanez trems. I guess it's the matter how you use it too obviously. After pushing this guitar to the limits for almost one year it's still one piece . I don't mean really hurting on a purpose- just normal every-day practice. After you get used to this bridge you really know why you have bought this nice thing. You can't go wrong with RG Ibby :].
    MrPrecission
    i've got that guitar but with the previous edgeIII bridge. I use it with a peavey vypyr, it's a great guitar, don't let its price confuse you. but i must say that bridge pickup sounds well for me (maybe something was changed in your Zero version). Finally instead of a Gibson i would save 200 and use new dimarzio pickups
    jet6957
    This is a first day for me and the RG350....Its been great to play for sure. It sounds good to me and I ve been playig at all levels of tone. I like the tone in the mids and the treble side of the guitar so far. I find the bass side is alittle more touchy then I m used to with humbucker pickups. More likely, I need to get Up to Grade on its idiosycracies to be able to give 100 percent of good tone and 0 bad tone from not paying attentio to the dynamics of this guitars capabilities. I found it to feel very good in my hands and my fingers took a day off for the ease it was to play. I m very serious about that statement. After years of telecasters and stratocasters and Les Pauls, this made a great showing, the neck is a pleasure to play all day if I were so inclinded or able. But for sure, I do believe I will upgrade the pickups after a year or two. Just because I like a variety of tone capability for all types of music. It will play that now. But, I upgrade after the familiarity wears thin and I want either duncan or Dimarzio pickups next. Alittle hotter perhaps and perhaps not. It plays well enough for any pedal board to make a good quality tone for music I play. Ya ll have my attention about your feelings about these, but as of yet I ll give it a year and see I m not after shred Master P.....nore am I a Ozzy wanta be. I m good to go with a wide variety of tones and textures.
    --ESTRANGED--
    wow, it seems most of you are too incompetent to set up a floyd rose (or edge in this case) tremolo. heavier gauges, more tension. just add the spring you get with the guitar and you're sorted. for the clown who said 9's have no stability, i keep an RG with an Edge trem with 9s set to standard on her and she's fine with 2 springs. incompetent fools.
    Slash-96
    Have this guitar. Great guitar, only thing seems to be the Edge Zero-II isn't the most stable of trems
    yousef213
    I forgot to add, this guitar will stay in tube for about a week at a time if you have .10s or heavier. .09s have no stability on this guitar
    Echoplex
    I use .09's and mine stays in tune just fine. I have an RG370DX, but it's the same guitar without the pickgaurd.
    yousef213
    Okay, mabey I just had it set up wrong. In any case I still have a preference to .10s
    jacetine29
    to the one who said that people here are incompetent fools, so you think you're so smart eh?
    CTGraphixGuy
    God, could we please stop reviewing Ibanez RG series guitars already??! They are a dime-a-dozen and there's not a single thing that can be said about them that hasn't been said already a thousand times. Are they good instruments? Yes. But we get it! Let's move on.
    BigHeadClan
    If you don't like seeing RG reviews then why bother clicking the link? Believe it or not people actually innovate and improve on ideas, there may not be a big change right now but that doesn't mean that the RG series could be totally different a year or 2 down the line then it is now.
    newbphil
    You're complaining about the RG reviews? How about any of the low-cost Squire/Fender/Epiphone/Gibson guitars...