RG350EX review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG350EX

Purchased from: Tom Lee

I play mostly metal, in fact that's actually all I play. Mostly Lamb Of God (if you're looking at newer bands) to Slayer or Metallica. The tone on this baby is the best I've ever heard. I swear to god if you Switch the pickups on this (specifically the INF4) like that one guy said in a previous review I will bludgeon you to death (just kidding =P ). Trust me, I have a lot of guitars and a lot of pickups, the INF4 literally beats the crap out of my EMG configuration on my Warlock (EMG 60/85). All that and it's not even an active pickup! This guitar is perfect for pinch harmonics (as long as you don't switch out the INF4 that is). The action I might also add is super low w/ absolutely no buzz, it's perfect. It's as if you were "gliding" across the fret board when playing. Very very good action on this guitar out of the "box". Right now my practice amp does it justice, which is the Line6 Spider II 112, but once you plug it into my Peavey JSX head/cab combo or my Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier, prepare to blown away. Perfect tone. The INF3 is my only complain, if you want to Switch that out go for it, you can't get the more deeper/warmer tones with that pickup, but for distortion/overdriven the INF4 is fantastic. There's a lot of variety when it comes to this guitar, hell I could play acoustic through this thing if I wanted to buy switching to the middle pickup. And definitely, the sound is very bright and vibrant (when you're using the bridge pickup).

For the type of music I play it is perfect, anyone that plays metal should consider getting this guitar. I have absolutely no regret or second thoughts on this guitar, it was the perfect buy. If it were stolen I would go find the SOB responsible and beat him to a pulp, if it were lost I would def. buy it again b/c for 400 dollars this guitar is simply the best deal you can find. I love the way it looks (it's white) and I love the way it plays. The only thing I hate about this guitar is that I don't have a good enough case for it. Favorite feature for me would be the fact that pinch harmonics are stupidly easy to pull off on this thing (I love the INF4, thanks to this guitar I discovered that pickup, I didn't even know what an INF pickup was before I bought this).

Live playing? Absolutely. No doubt about it, in fact my band and I are gonna putting on shows come January and for sure I'll be using this. This guitar was built to last, I've accidently dropped it once already, not even a scracth. Strap buttons are godsends in my opinion for this guitar, they're so rugged it's laughable to compare them to my other guitars. I would definitely never use any guitar w/o a backup, but this one I will make a special exception, it's such a sexy looking guitar but best of all, it plays insanely good.

Action wise, as stated before, was perfect. I didn't have to adjust it, in fact I'm so used to the action on the Ibanez I had to lower the action on my other guitars or else it just doesnt't "feel" right. I did have to elevate the INF4 a wee bit to get the perfect sound out of it, but otherwise it was awesome. The thing is, whenever I buy a guitar, I always finetune the pickups, so far out of all my guitars, this one required the least amount of finetuning (a whopping 45 seconds) to get just right. There were absolutely no flaws to this guitar, after some contemplation I decided to "set" the bridge so tuning wouldn't be a problem (lots of palm mutes in what I play). So I added 2 more springs on the back (there were 3 originally), but divebombs are still possible, you just can't yank back on the whammy bar. But this is not a flaw at all, just personal preference. Everything about this guitar is perfect, I would pay 600+ dollars for this one if need be.

The Ibanez that I bought was made in Korea, in 2005. It includes 24 jumbo frets with a Wizard II neck (super easy to play on). It's a beautiful guitar, I went with the white color instead of black since I have so many other black guitars already. It's got a floating bridge (locking nut and all, basically an Ibanez version of floyd rose) and it plays amazingly great for an Ibanez. It's got passive pickups, got the INF series, 2 humbuckers and and a single coil. It's got the INF3 humbucker for the Neck pickup, INFS3 for the single coil middle pickup and my most favorite pickup of all time the INF4 for the bridge pickup. It has 2 knobs (volume+tone) and a 5 way selector Switch. The guitar came with a very good whammy bar, allen keys and a set of extra 42 gauge strings. In my opinion this is the best guitar in my fleet of guitars.

Jrsnyder881
    DaBlackE
    nightwatchman01 wrote: hey I've been playing acoustic for well over 6 months now, and I want to make the switch to electric. do you think an Ibanez RG350 or maybe an Epiphone Les Paul standard or custom would be better? versatility is not the most important but it still is a factor. any suggestions will be much appreciated.
    Try the LTD EC-400, Viper 400 or the Wasburn X50.
    beeboshain
    Jrsnyder881 wrote: I have this guitar for about 2 years and only had to tune it once i dont have any probs at all with tuning the pickups are weak though and the screw that keeps my top pickup in keeps falling out so keep that in mind if you plan on buying it
    i get this aswell but its not much of a problem
    METMAN
    if i were to recomend any other pickups other than EMG's it would have to be DiMarzio's they are great also!!
    Chad11491
    Agent, i belive u cant put emgs into this guitar, begause of its thickness. i recommend seymour duncan
    that's about the most retarded thing i've ever heard, you can put EMG's in this guitar, the thickness of the guitar makes no difference
    METMAN
    this is true the thickness makes no diffrence in the pickup you put in it it would just sound deeper and they are no thicker than a start as far as i can see, so there is no difrence.
    MetalheadA7X
    I'm just wondering Doesn't every guitar sound good through a dual rectifier?? I have the INF1 and INF2 in my guitar and they are the better versions of the INF pickup hey still suck Thats why i have my EMG at hand
    see told you you could put emg's in one i have a emg h4 hz in my rg470
    ShadowsFallFan
    LMFAO
    MESAexplorer
    ShadowsFallFan wrote: pieman777 wrote: wooo this guitar kicks ass!! i had it for 6 months and it still sounds great! LMFAO
    Haha, wait about 6 more months of moderate to heavy use and that trem is gonna depress you miserably. I got to try out one of my freinds just like this one, about 2 years old...the Edge is dead, very sad : (
    muivirt
    i'm using it and it rocks big big major major giant giant time!!!!!
    High_o
    i dont know exactly but the guy who said they are too thin was probly talking about the battery not fitting.
    see told you you could put emg's in one i have a emg h4 hz in my rg470
    aren't they passive? if so, the battery hole wont matter, so of course you could fit it in
    Spawn2
    The Edge trem does suck, if you want a good reliable one: take a new Ibanez S-series guitar for a spin, I've got the S470dxqm, it rocks my world!!! I'm hoping they'll release an RG series with the ZR trem, that would be great...
    daytona2134
    I have a RG370DX I bought when they first came out about 2 or 3 years ago and I have thrown it across the room a bunch of times into the wall and it did not even dent the guitar, It did bash the wall in, I found out the next day ha. These guitars can take a beating and and still play like new for years.