RG350EX review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG350EX

Price paid: C$ 375

Purchased from: Jimmys

I play a lot of Guns N Roses, Iron Maiden and Ozzy Osbourne. This guitar good for any kind of music but it really feels at home with metal. The sound with the EMG pickups now is exactly what I needed but even with the original inf pickups many will not complain. I am using it with my Fender Sidekick 10 combo amp through a DigiTech RP155. Which I have set up to emulate the Mesa Boogie sound. For a basement this setup suits me pretty well however to truly play this guitar to its limit one needs to play this on a much better amp. I have been thinking about picking up a Mesa Boogie since I bought this guitar 2 months ago. I have been playing now for a few years and have two other guitars in my collection. A Fender mex fat Strat with a Floyd Rose and active setup with EMGs and an old BC rich mockingbird with Seymour Duncan pickups and a tun o matic bridge. This guitar came with a factory setup that was better than both my guitars with go in for setup and intonation at least once a year. The sound is very clean. Specially with the 81 I can really get that randy rhodes kind of tone. I can pretty much do anything with this guitar because of the clean sound. I have tried many different settings with my effect processor and the effects are amazing. I am only giving it a 9 here since I didn't particularly like the original pickups this guitar came with but then I am very EMG biased to begin with.

For the kind of music I play this guitar is perfect. If you want to work the fret board and warp speed and get that clean sound this is the guitar to get. I have been playing for a few years now but I always played through my metal zone distortion pedal till now. I find with the sound of this this guitar I don't need to always hide behind a distorted sound. But when I do hit the old distortion pedal this guitar goes wild. The only wish is if I had two tone controls for faster changes.

Again I am not sure if the tremlo arm touching the tone knob might help lose some luster. Other than that the guitar looks fantastic. I have played it with a few friends and we have jammed pretty hard and it seems to be right at home with the other metal axes. I am pretty sure the hardware will last. The guitar seems pretty dependable. I am a pretty wild player and go through strings pretty fast but with the Ibanez I don't lose them as fast for some reason.

The action is low and nice. There is hardly any buzz. My Strat on the other hand has a lot more buzz if I set it up to a similar action. The finish is first class. I might eventually change the knobs because I don't like brassy look. The tremelo arm floats freely however it brushes the tone knob which might lose it Shine from the constant contact. I am not sure if this a problem with my guitar or all Rg350s. A simple fix would be to change the angle of the bar however I like this because it stops the arm from going all over the place. Talking about the tremolo I must warn you that the dive bombs are infectious. This guitar was made for solos and crazy divebombs.

Mine is made in Indonesia. From what I can see I am sure this guitar is no older than 2009. I am not going to mention every little detail about the guitar as you can probably get that from the other reviews. But just a basic mention that this model comes with 24 jumbo frets, wizard 2 neck and Edge tremolo system. The Set up is simple yet effective, 1 tone and 1 volume. The five selector(strat style). The guitar originally came with 2 Inf3 pickups (one single coil and a humbucker) and an inf4 humbucker in the neck. I have swapped the humbuckers for an EMG 81/85 setup. The single coil in the middle is now disconnected. The setup came perfectly setup from the shop however I did change the strings. For two reasons, one because I didn't like the ones the guitar came with and second because I wanted to see how hard it is to change strings on a locking tremelo. It is not as hard as people think (similar to a floyd rose).