RG350MDX review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG350MDX

Purchased from: Guitar Center, Glen Burnie, MD

This guitar is very versatile. I play metal (all kinds) and love to cover older songs by Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, and even some bluesy stuff and this guitar handles it all well. I play it through an Ibanez Toneblaster Xtreme and it sound great (as great as you're going to get from a solid-state head, anyways) and sometime I use a Zoom 505ii pedal, mainly for an echo/delay effect (to play "We Bow in it's Aura" by Veil of Maya") There is a little feedback but that is easily resolved when I turn the gain down some. The neck position is perfect for solos and lead and arpeggios. The bridge position sounds good for pretty much everything. The middle position has really high output.

For me, This guitar was the one I had been waiting for. I play metal, and not only does this thing sound aggressive but it looks aggressive. And it can play other styles, too. I've been playing for about 7 years now and this is my first high quality guitar and I am impressed. Since I've had this guitar, my playing abilities have gotten better tenfold. I would definitely buy it again if something happened to it. I love the maple neck. Its super fast and comfortable, playing is a breeze on it. I don't really like thickness of the body (I used to play my friends S470 a lot) but I've gotten used to it. My favorite feature is the locking nut. I love that it stays in tune throughout anything. I had been wanting this guitar for about a year when I played one at a local music store and my jaw dropped when I saw it use for $200 with virtually nothing wrong with it. I was stuck between this of an Ibanez RG 7-string. But I needed a better 6-string.

Any guitar is going to get wear and tear. It all depends on how it's taken care off. So far, it has been reliable. Stays in tune. When I'm not playing, I keep it in my hardshell case so it doesn't collect dust. I think I could play a show without a backup, but I would take one anyways just to be safe. The finish seems like it can last awhile. I've hit the headstock off of things a few times and don't have any chips.

The action of the guitar when I bought it was almost perfect for me. Of coarse, when I dropped to C, it changed a little but once it was set up right, it was perfect. It didn't have a Tremolo arm, which I'm still waiting for Guitar Center to order for me. The bridge is still a little too sunken into the body, which is an easy fix.

This guitar has 24 jumbo-frets with black Shark tooth inlays on a Wizard ii maple neck. Basswood body with black hardware, finish and pick guard (pick guard has a white outline.) An Infinity 4 Bridge humbucking pick-up which is warm sounding and good harmonics. An Infinity 3 single coil middle pick up, high output. And an Infinity 3 humbucking neck pickup, good for chords and rhythm. There is a locking nut on the neck and an Edge 3 Tremolo which is similar to the original Edge tremolo but with lower profile fine tuners and new saddles. A lot of people talk about how the Edge 3 isn't good for dropped tunings, I have not had a problem with this yet, I play in Dropped C and the only problem I've had is that the bridge is dropped into the body a little, but that can be easily fixed with setting it up better. The Edge 3 features two screws in the arm pocket, which allow easy adjustment of the arm height and torque.

AlHull410
    If Ibanez and Gibson guitars met and had sex, ESP guitars would be their kids.