RG350MPZ review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG350MPZ

Purchased from: GuitarGuitar, Birmingham

This guitar perfectly suits my music style. I play mainly heavy metal (classic and thrash, Anthrax/Saxon/Judas Priest kind of stuff). I play it through my Peavey Vypyr 15 and the sound is fantastic, and so crunchy with the gain right up. I mainly play it with distortion, but it has a great clean sound from the neck or middle pickups too. I'm able to do anything on my guitar really, whether it be soloing, tapping, shredding, all guitar techniques are playable.

To sum things up... Good points: - For heavy metal, this guitar's sound is fantastic, perfect for it. - The action is so low, it makes it so easy to play. There is a bit of string rattle but you can't hear it at all through an amp. - The finish is so well done and smooth. - Locking tuning makes it easy for it to stay in tune and use tremolo. - Works well clean and distorted. Bad points: - Very frustrating to tune. - When I first bought it, there were a few dead frets and the pickups were too high. This guitar is brilliant if you need an upgrade like I did, or need a guitar for heavy metal. It is far better than the guitar I began with. Admittedly though I would probably buy a different guitar if it was stolen.

This guitar has never let me down, I would probably gig with it without a backup, although if I was playing in different tunings I would have to bring another guitar, the floating tremolo means it takes about 10 minutes to tune (not good if you play in different tunings like I do), so I'd probably have another guitar if I was switching between tunings, as tuning it is very frustrating.

When I bought this guitar, the shop had set it up so well, although I could tell the strings needed replacing. However, I did eventually pay for a set-up at Noiseworks in Coventry, as I was having problems such as dead frets and high pickups which unabled me to palm-mute without an irritating 'twanging' noise. Despite that the action is so low it makes it very easy to play, Since the set-up it plays beautifully.

I purchased this guitar (in white with a pearl scratchplate) after about a year of playing a Tanglewood Nevada, mainly because I needed an upgrade. It was made in Ibanez's Indonesia factory, of what year I'm not sure. It has a beautiful maple neck with 24 frets, and a Floyd Rose tremolo. It has one volume and one tone knob, with a 5-way pickup selector, and has stock passive Ibanez pickups. The locking tuners make it so 'safe' to use the tremolo, it won't go out of tune for months so long as you have it locked.

MaggaraMarine
    You paid for that? I think the guitar store where you bought it should setup the guitar for you for free because it's their job (unless you bought it online).
    Air_Stryker
    I love the sound and feel of this guitar, but I have never used the single coil centre pickup, and I've always found it get's in the way. I lowered mine until it was almost inside the body to get it out the way =P
    M3AK
    I can't believe GuitarGuitar didn't set it up for you! The one in Edinburgh does all the time (I'm from Edinburgh). As for guitars in this price point Ibanez definitely are one of the best in terms of value for money. Companies like Dean and Jackson have some ****ing terrible guitars in this price range however companies like Ibanez and Schecter in particular offer incredible value. I always wanted to try one of these maple necked RG guitars but the trem has always put me off. If they did a fixed bridge version of this guitar I'd be right on it. However due to the fact that they are meant to be affordable versions of the classic RG550 I highly doubt they ever will . Looks like use fixed bridgers will have to go without.
    Jar^
    Bad points: - Very frustrating to tune.
    The same "problem" is in all guitars which have FR-style tremolo, so I think that it isn't bad point. It is just feature for floating tremolos. BTW, the guitar looks awesome! Love the maple fretboard!