RG370DX review by Ibanez

• Users' score: 8.2 (1,401 votes)
Ibanez: RG370DX

Purchased from: zzounds.com

First of all, I'm very eclectic in my styles. I play everything from poppy and emo rock (gotta play for the ladies) to alternative rock (which my band is at the moment) to hardcore metal. Really though, I bought this guitar with the purpose of learning instrumental rock like Vai and Satriani, because I've always wanted a JEM but could never afford it (and the RG370DX is set up quasi-similarly), but this guitar is made for harder, more distorted stuff. The INF pickups scream and with my weak Kustom KGA10 I still produce a very rich sound, especially with the OD on high. The floating tremolo helps a ton w/ making a variety of sounds, and I'm actually in the process of trying to get my guitar to say words. Really, the guitar makes pretty much no feedback (except when on the single coil, but even then it's not that bad), but it lacks the quality necessary for some cleaner techniques, so yeah that's one area it's not versatile.

Like i said above, I play everything, but mostly harder rock and instrumental stuff. Vai has always been my hero and so when I saw this, the first thing in my mind was "cheap JEM knockoff!" and well, it does it's job. I've been playing for about 2 1/2 years now and about 7-10 hours a day (no joke, im addicted), and I'm around guitars a lot (I hang out at Guitar Center with my friends all the time). I'm really happy with my choice too. The floating tremolo is very new to me and I still gotta get used to it, but I love playing around with it for hours and hours. One thing I don't like about floating tremolos in general is the tension issues and trying to tune to lower guitar tunings like half step down or drop C/B, as the floating tremolo will collapse into the bridge from lack of tension from the strings. But I knew this from the start; floating tremolos are just in general harder to work with, but once u get used to them you can do with them as you please. If this guitar was lost, I'd freak out and scream for a day because it's just not expensive enough to get insurance on, but too expensive to just throw away. I'd probably buy it again, if not a better RG (like a Prestige model) or, if possible, a JEM. My other guitar is a Squier Affinity Strat, and it's an older model so it's actually more than decent, and I use it still when I need half step tunings, but this guitar blows it away easily. I love my RG370DX.

This guitar is one crazy guitar. Of course I'd come to a gig w/a backup (I've also got a Strat), but I would see this guitar as withstanding live playing. So far, after getting it from the shop, it plays so well; it's like cutting hot butter. I'd almost bet my first-born on reliability now.

Be prepared to send this immediately to the repair shop to get the gear adjusted, because although all the materials are great and most of the things are perfectly put, the pickups werent properly screwed in, the floating edge III collapsed into the cavity, and the truss had to be realigned. Once I got it back from the shop though, it plays beautifully! Other than that, there were no finish flaws, no loose tuning pegs, no bad quality anything (and people should bring brand new guitars to the shop anyways because new guitars never are truly adjusted perfectly from the shop with some exceptions). So yeah if I rated based on how it came from the factory, it'd be unplayable (or less than 3), but after it coming from the shop I'd want to rate it over 10.

My 370DX was made in 2005. It's got 24 jumbo frets for the scalloped effect, with a bound rosewood fretboard, a maple neck and a body of basswood, which really helps weight-wise. That really makes the guitar awesome though is it's got an Edge III floating tremolo bridge, INF (by DiMarzio) pickups (which just scream) in a H-S-H formation, and a locking mech so tuning and bridge alignment doesn't become a pain. The inlays are sharktooth design, which people like to say is a copy of Jackson, but I find it more beautiful. And also my guitar has a Night Black finish.