RG370DX review by Ibanez

• Users' score: 8.2 (1,401 votes)
Ibanez: RG370DX

I play different types of music like black metal, death metal, blues, classic rock, and shred. The guitar sounds great, and handles these styles well, tone-wise at least. I was using it with a Roland Cube 15 and or a Randall RG75DG3Plus amplifier. The tone was great. The bridge pickup is great for rythm, very tight and clear, the neck pickup however, which is what I usually use for solos, is a bit weak in my opinion and doesn't really cut through the distortion much. The middle pickup is great for crystal-clear clean strumming and blues playing. Using the middle pickup with in the 2nd and 4th positions gave nice single-coil tones. Using it in those positions would have the middle pickup turned on as well as either the front coil of the neck pickup or the front coil of the bridge pickup. Using the middle in with the bridge pickup gave a nasal sound, which is good for country. Using it with the neck pickup gives a warmer single-coil sound that's nice for some clean tapping. Using too much gain on the amplifier usually generates some noise and feedback when you get your hand of the guitar, but that's normal. In my opinion this is a pretty versatile guitar.

In general the guitar is great for metalheads and shredders. The only reason I sold it was that I play too many different styles now and I constantly change tunings, so with the floating bridge I'd have make adjustments every time I change the tuning. Another reason is that I prefer bigger necks and smaller frets, although most metal guitar players and shredders prefer the opposite. If this guitar were stolen, I would buy another guitar with a fixed bridge, and thicker neck. When I went to get a guitar, I compared it with the RG320FM, but got this instead because of the finish and the single coil pickup in the middle. The only things I wish it had would be a fixed bridge, a fatter neck, and medium frets.

I haven't gigged with this guitar, but after I sold it to my friend he'd been gigging with it constantly and it seems to withstand. I always play it when we're hanging out and it's no different than the day I sold it to him. The strap buttons are great, I've never dropped the guitar with the srap on. The hardware hasn't worn out regardless of all the sweat it receives, so it's a pretty dependable guitar. But I recommend getting a backup guitar with a fixed bridge when gigging because there's always a risk of breaking a string when using the whammy bar excessively.

When I took it out of the box the action was a bit high, so I lowered it. The intonation was good so there was no need to readjust it. The neck is solid and smooth, but I had to adjust the truss rod to fix the neck bow, so there weren't any heavy modifications necessary. The bridge is great, it rarely goes out of tune when it's setup right. The frets are a bit big in my opinion, and the neck is bit then. I prefer medium frets and medium necks, but that's just my opinion.

This guitar was made in Indonesia, where most Ibanez guitars other than the Prestige Series are made. It's got a basswood body, bolt-on maple neck, rosewood fingerboard with 24 jumbo frets, Edge III floating bridge, HSH configuration. The pickups are passive Ibanez "Infinity" series. The neck pickup is an Infinity 4, the middle is a single 3, and the bridge is a 3. There's a tone knob and volume knob, and a five-way selector Switch. Tuners are Ibanez, but their brand doesn't really make a matter because there's a locking nut to stabilize the tuning. I got mine in the black finish, and all finishes come with black hardware.

CRIPPLEDshreder
    SlayingDragons
    CRIPPLEDshreder wrote: Hi guys I need help deciding between the rg370dx or the rg2ex1. ive been working all summer for a new guitar and I need some help deciding. I personally dont care for a trem.
    I've been trying to decide between the same exact two, lol. I figure i'm going to replace the pickups with passive EMG's anyway, and will sometimes maybe experiment with a tremelo, and can replace the edge 3 with an OFR, so I'm getting the rg370dx. @justine3563: If i'm correct, it's the tremelo it has on it. someone please correct me if i'm wrong.
    Darkmeteor
    DANTE_DEMONHALF wrote: guys..... I need some help RG370 or SA260 ???? I'm so confused and I'v been ages sav'n money so I can't take any risk!!!!
    from the informations I found, the RG370 has way better pickups (INF) than the SA260 (SNDSwhatever)
    james2610
    kj_se wrote: I have been playing for almost 3 yaers now and i thinking of buing a new guitsr. I dont have much many and i am wondering if I should by this one or the 170DX. Nice if some of you could help with my "dilemma".
    Dont get the 170DX its pretty much a starter guitar, i used to have it but i sold it as i prefered my strat copy, there was hardly any difference. I reccomend getting this guitar over the 170DX anyday
    lingyding2
    I reccomend getting this guitar over the 170DX anyday
    Thanks man! Really helped me. Just need to find a good price for the 370DX now
    beatles_forever
    how good is this for classic rock/blues rock ?!.. like can it pull off rolling stones/dire straits sounds?.. i'm considering 370dx(bk) n 350ex as its the best in the price range.. but i'm not at all a metalhead.. so which am i lookin in the right place?? :S