RG370DX review by Ibanez

• Reviewer's score: 6.6 Neat
  • Users' score: 8.2 (1,398 votes)
Ibanez: RG370DX

Purchased from: Onstage, Delhi

Now, the stock pickups that came on it are really good for stock ones, but these ofcourse, will need a change if you're into extreme metal or something that needs a fat sound. The bridge is quite comfortable to go 'chug chug' on. Now the thing i don't like is the neck. It's thin, good for fast playing, but horrible when playing fast over several strings, especially string skipping, since the neck is pretty flat at the back. I wish it was more rounded. I don't like the natural clean tone of this guitar. The basswood in it gives it a pretty uncharacteristic sound that's too colorless to be anything but neutral. So without a multi fx or a few pedals, you can't make it sound warm and fat, or Vintage twangy, and even if you do manage somehow, it doesn't sound natural. But then, the only thing is IS good for is hard rock, alt rock and metal. Especially chops and metalcore. The five way pickup selector Switch is a blessing and gives the guitar more tonal range than I'd expected. So within it's constraints, this guitar sweeps smoothly inside its range. I've used this with various Peavey, Fender, Line 6 amps and pedals such as the Boss MT-2, DigiTech Distortion Factory and the Vox Satchurator, as well as a few multi fx units such as the Zoom G2.1U and the DigiTech RP250. I play several genres, so I have realized this isn't as versatile as I wanted it to be.

I've been playing for almost 4 years, each moment being spent in dedicated study of guitar playing. I bought this guitar because it was the only lefty guitar available here. If I had a choice I would've picked another axe, like an Agile Interceptor with EMGs.

Everything about this guitar is solid. It'll withstand years of live playing. I've dropped it several times, screwed up things, too. But this baby's held out. Probably the best thing about it.

Well, everything's in place, nothing constructed or assembled in a faulty manner. When i bought it, it was out of tune, and the action and intonation were off target. And mind you, restringing this guitar as well as adjusting the action, truss rod and intonation are a real pain, forget tuning. Sadly in an Indian environment, the pickup pots and the screws and bolts are slowly rusting. Also, the Edge III bridge is pretty horrible on its own too. It's pretty much inherent in it. If you divebomb too much, the bridge collapses and you have to retune your guitar repeatedly to make the bridge rise.

I'm writing the review for the lefty version of the same Ibanez model. It's a 2007 model. Made in Korea. It has a basswood body, 3 piece maple neck and rosewood fretboard. It has 24 jumbo frets, sharktooth inlays, Edge III tremolo, tone and volume knobs, locking keys, 5-way Switch pickup selector. The pickups are Ibanez INF4 at the bridge, INFS3 in the middle, and INF3 at the neck, in (H/S/H) position. The only color it's available in is black. It came with a gig bag, a cable, some picks, some tools and a strap. I don't like the body wood, the bridge and the neck. The pickups are good, but nothing to write home about. I've explained everything in the next sections.

lamqa