RG370DX review by Ibanez

• Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
  • Users' score: 8.2 (1,398 votes)
Ibanez: RG370DX

Price paid: C$ 420

Purchased from: Music Centre Canada

I was playing alot of hard rock/ metal and punk. This guitar suits these styles quite well although the bridge pickup does not deliver the screaming harmonics metal deserves. The neck pickup has a good warm sound to it while soloing or playing chords but the sustain leaves a bit to be desired. The bridge pickup is nice and crunchy with distortion, and fairly crisp as well. I've never used the single coil. Simply rolling back the volume I got a very nice bluesy tone from the bridge perfect for rock.

Overall for playing punk, metal and rock it was a half decent match. I've been playing for three and a half years. I also own a PRS Torero, and Ibanez Talman acoustic. Currently playing through a Vox 30w. Soon to buy a Marshall class 5. If this guitar was stolen I would buy another Ibanez, but a bit better model. I compared this guitar to a similarly priced Washburn and Schecter, no competition in this price range. It was an alright second guitar, but left much to be desired, such as a real floyd, decent manufacture and seriously high output pups. Mostly because of the poor wiring and stability of the trem I'm giving this guitar a 6/10. I would rate it lower but I actually dig the tone of this guitar. Its just a shame it wasn't made better.

This peticular guitar would not be a good one to play live. The bridge needs a good nudge after use to put it back into tune. I would not gig with this guitar without a backup. Strap buttons seem solid enough, but I use strap locks just in case. After three years of very rough abuse the finish is surprisingly new looking. A few surface scratches, but those are easily buffed out.

My guitar was on 'the wall' for a while and the action was set quite high. After about a week of play I noticed my input jack was loose and had pulled the wires right out of the solder. On closer inspection of the internal workings, the ground wire was crushed flat by the back plate and the pots were soldered very slopily with solder balls all over the wood cavity. I rewired it completely with new wire and a new input jack within 2 weeks of purchase. The bridge was setup pretty well. Came with dadarrio (sp?) 9-52 strings on it which I like. There is a quite large imperfection in the body, looks like a knot covered in wood filler. Can be felt even.

My RG was made in indonesia in 2007. 24 jumbo frets on a 25.5 scale. Comes with INF pickups that were designed to sound like PAF pro joes. Inf 3 in the neck position, inf3s single coil in the middle and inf4 in the bridge position. 5 way Switch and a single volume and tone pot. Painted black finish and I did not recieve any accessories. Its got an edge 3 trem unit, sharktooth inlays and a bolt on maple neck.

DimebagZappa
    Thanks UG for posting my review. I've played this guitar for 3 years so I didnt jump the gun. Now two more years and I review my Prs.