RG370DX review by Ibanez

• Reviewer's score: 4.6 Poor
  • Users' score: 8.2 (1,398 votes)
Ibanez: RG370DX

Price paid: C$ 400

I currently use this guitar for hard rock, punk and some hair metal. It really doesn't do anything well, but is decent enough that it still gets regular play. The guitar itself is a bit muddy, lacks resonance, sounds pretty thin acoustically and has decent sustain. I have put many pickup sets in this guitar (EMGs, BKPs, Dimarzios, SD's) and found it to be a waste of time as its natural sound is not good. Even the BKPS were muddy, which they most definitely are not! I blame this on the cheap cut of wood used for the body. The stock pickups are pretty bland versions of a PAF design. They sound thin and hollow and the bridge isn't very defined, notes tend to bleed a bit. Clarity with new pickups is greatly effetely, but not much else. I play through a Blackstar HT-5 Head into a Blackheart 112 cab and sometimes a POD X3. No effects with this baby, it cannot cut through the mix already.

If this guitar was stolen I would replace it with another older MIJ RG. The newer not MIJ RG's have yet to impress. It was a fantastic second guitar, as my first was awful, and I am pretty glad to have started with it. All the problems were easily fixed and it plays very nicely! I really didn't compare it to much, only a cheap 100$ Washburn Superstrat. Favorite feature is the neck and the inlays, most disliked is the awful cut of wood I got. If you are looking into one I strongly recommend trying multiples acoustically to get one with a fuller sound and good resonance. I am sure I got a lemon and not all bodies are this bad. I also own an RG 470, DiMarzio Crunch Lab, LiquiFire, and a J-Custom RG 8570. I have owned an RG 1570, several other Ibanez models, a PRS SE, an Epiphone LP and a Hamer Explorer. Been playing for 6 years. Thanks for reading and remember this rating is for my guitar, not the RG370DX in general. I have played better.

I wouldn't ever gig this guitar as it sounds bad, but if I did I would ensure to have a backup as the edge 3 can be finicky. I cant imagine any major problems live beside those. Strap buttons are small and need locks. Finish is poly and like a rock, very minimal scratches. I can't imagine anything else needing replacing until the knife edges wear out and the bridge is blocked. I will not replace it.

Guitar was setup well at the factory, all I did was lower the action a bit, set it to Eb tuning, intonate and a very slight truss rod adjustment. The frets are pretty well done, no sharp edges to speak of, well leveled. The pots are junk. Tiny little cheap pots that got scratchy quickly, they were replaced. Output jack was constantly loosening itself, so I swapped it out and added a locking washer. The switch is stock and still functions well. Tuning heads are pretty decent (no name) but hold tune well and haven't loosened at all. The basswood body is complete junk, several flaws visible through the finish including a very large knot and some wood filler. Edge 3 is still pretty solid! Holds tune decently well and the knife edges and pivots are like new. Surprisingly enough. I've abused it to crazy extremes.

My RG370DX was made in 2007 in Indonesia. - Edge III tremolo bridge - Locking nut - 3 PC Wizard II maple neck - 24 frets on 25.5 scale - Bound rosewood fretboard and sharktooth inlays - Jumbo frets - Basswood body, painted black. - INF3/INFS/INF4 pickups stock. Bridge is now a V8 from a prestige.

StonedColdCrazy
    Lol. Someones butthurt I reviewed it badly. Was a good review idiot! Come play mine and find out.