RG370DXGP1 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG370DXGP1

Purchased from: craigslist

It was made in July 2007, in Indonesia. 24 frets, it's a superstrat style guitar like every other RG with Ibanez Edge 3 bridge which is a floating bridge. It's got a 5 way selector knob for two humbucking and one single coil pickup in H-S-H configuration. The neck pickup is an INF3 middle one also says it's INF3 but it's a single coil and the bridge is an INF4. Tuners look generic to me and I have no clue about their brands and stuff, but they are all black and they look and feel good. I bought it used from a guy who didn't really took care of this guitar he gave me just the guitar not even a bag or the tremolo bar.

I play a lot of different things but mainly j-rock and pop punk kind of stuff. The neck feels really great when playing fast arpeggios and soloing, while playing rhythm parts (mainly power chords) I have to keep adjusting my wrists as the wide fretboard really makes it hard to reach the lower strings. I mostly use simulated amps on guitar rig 5 also I have a Zoom multi effects pedal so i use that for distortion, reverb, phaser and pitch shifting sometimes. The sound is kind of heavy on the low end while playing clean it sounds really full, but with a good amount of distortion it starts to lose life, the tone is good and all but it sounds kinda dull and lacking. I had to learn to eq it properly so it's fine for now. For clean tones the middle pickup is great, the bridge pickup gives off nice chimes clean tone and honestly it's not awesome or anything but good enough.

As for the neck pickup all I can say is it's bad, really bad it sounds dirty, unbalanced and muffled for some reason. Overall the pickups are just fine, I'll be upgrading them soon.

As this was a used model the guy did had it setup according to his preference, the action was little high for me and the springs were tightened way too much, I guess he tried to block the tremolo. As I never had any experience with Floyd rose type bridges before it took a whole weekend after getting it home to set it up properly, also while researching about setting it up I found a lot of bad reviews for the edge 3 but I'll just say it out loud it's not a BAD tremolo, if you can set it up properly it will stay in tune for months (just don't go too hard on the whammy bar). It's and old guitar still the knife edges are fine. The hardware is all good no flaws in the finish or rust or anything, it was missing the knob for the pickup selector but that's it and I blame the previous owner for that. The fretboard is really nice, there were no sharp fret wires or anything so the craftsmanship is as good as it can get for a guitar at this price point.

Although cheap this is a rugged guitar and I think it will last for a long time. I am not doing any live gigs for now so i haven't used it on stage yet, But I plan to make this my main guitar for live shows. The guitar has taken a good beating from the previous owner but the knobs, dials or even the output jack doesn't feel loose or anything I guess time will tell but I've had it for 5 months now and it hasn't failed on me yet. The strap locks feel solid no complaints there. The finish does look like it is getting scratched up so I'll have to be careful with that, other than that it's a solid built guitar and it will last for a long time. The build quality does inspire confidence.

I mostly play j-rock, and alternative rock, pop pink etc, so I need my main guitar to be versatile, although this is a great guitar the pickups it came with really lack substance or any life and the Floyd Rose is a pain to tune, change strings. But the ease of playability made me keep this guitar for good.

The neck is super thin, fast and the string spacing is also perfect. I have been playing since last 7-8 years, I guess and this the kind of guitar that I want to settle on. I'll be looking for newer models of this Ibanez RG's, if it was ever lost or stolen, preferably a model with same build quality and comfort but a hardtail and better pickups.

At the time of buying I had the option of buying this guitar, a cheap strat or one of those Cort guitars, this looked like the best deal so I bought it if budget wasn't a problem I would've gone to a store and would've bought a RG451 or something like that. As for now I am satisfied with this guitar it's just the pickups, which I will upgrade other than that it's a good guitar not awesome but not average.

MH400
    Ibanez stock pickups strike again. Even on an RGA121 Prestige, they are garbage.
    jmezzo
    I have the RG270DX. It plays beautifully. I obviously replaced the pick ups because Ibanez isn't know for their pick ups. I also replaced the pots with push pull pots for coil tapping on the bridge and phase flipping the single coil. I still play it heavily compared to my other guitars and I have 8 of them to choose from. Several in price brackets higher than the RG.