RG3EX1 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG3EX1

I love the sound from this. It fits all my styles, I play everything from jazz to hard shred metal. I can adjust it to whatever sound and tone I want whenever I want. It can bounce from low volume to loud toneful and incredible volume without being noisy, even when I crank it on my friends B-52 half stack it keeps it's sound and I love it.

I've been playing about 13 years or so and I also have a Peavey Classic 60/60 Stereo power Amp, A Crate Blue Voodoo 4X12 cabinet, DigiTech GNX3000, 1977 Elektra Les Paul Custom Made, Ibanez RG2-EX3WH, a whole shitload of computer recording crap and that about covers it. I've been into gear a long time and I looked up everything I could, asked every question I could and looked the guitar over like you wouldn't beleive. I've been burned once to many. I love everything about the quitar. I don't hate anything. The String thru Mahogany body. I compared it to all the Ibanez Models they had. It played the best and in my opinion sounded the best. It's like they say. You can tell what kind of day the luthier had the night before by playing a couple different axes.

This guitar seems like it would take a fair amount of typical abuse that would occur on a gig. I had no probs with it tonight. I would never gig without a backup guitar. The hardware really seems like it would keep its life or whatever, I don't see any of it failing any time soon at all. The finish will not wear off and if it did I'd be really surprised to be honest.

The guitar was set up perfectly. I did play all the RG3's they had before I settled on this one. The pickups were a little low for my taste but that's what the adjustment screw is for right? I lowered the saddles just a pinch on the bass side though, just above fret buzz level. They only spot on the top that doesn't look right is where it meets between the pickups. Just a fraction off as to be noticeable. Flawless finish other than that.

I have a friend who works at guitar center and I've seen the literature on this guitar. It's based on the RG321 model and has a Mahogany Body with a quilt maple top. It has 1 volume, 1 tone and a 3 way pickup selector with 2 EMG designed non-active humbuckers modeled after the EMG HZ pickup line. It has a 3 piece Male neck with rosewood fingerboard similar to the Wizard II neck shape. The paint and clearcoat on this guitar are excellent, although I do I have the Ibanez RG2-EX2WH which is white for you guys that don't know the Ibanez product codes and it has some small imperfections in the paint that look like dirt or something hit it before it dried. But it too plays amazing.