RG3EX1 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG3EX1

I play mostly Metal/metalcore stuff. For lack of cash I use an old peavy bass amp that I have set to sound like a guitar amp and I use an Ibanez distortion pedal, not too sure of the exact name. The guitar sounds great, nice and heavy, every note comes in clear it's great for metal but it's not so great for playing classic rock or anything light really, just doesnt't sound right. Plus, it's awesome for taps and bends, espeically bends, Works beautifully. But there's one thing I can say. If your a metalhead and your just starting out this is great to get for a beginner's guitar.

I like to Metal and Hardcore stuff, some death metal, and this guitar is definately a good match, I've been playing for a little over a year now and it's just a great guitar that got me through things. If it where lost or stolen, personally, I would look into something else but don't get me wrong, that's just me, it's a great guitar. I love the shark-fin fret markers, the tuners, and the overall way it sounds. The only change I think it would need is that the volume knob be further away from the playing area, it's easily knocked down in volume while playing a song. it's one of the best money can buy for a guitar around $400, I didn't buy it but I've played other guitars that are around the same price as mine and most just don't compare besides a few other Rg models that Ibanez has made.

It's definately a reliable and durable guitar and it could definately withstand any Live show without a doubt. The strap buttons, I've never had a problem with. I would not need to bring a backup besides for risk of strings breaking. Personally, between my little brother being clutsy and it being knocked over by accident by others, this thing has taken a beaten and it's still the way I got it besides maybe one or two dings on the edges.

I'd say the action is great and everything about this guitar is great when new except for the neck Pu's. The pickup comes loose somehow after playing for a bit and rattles because it's pretty much just sitting in the body. It doesnt't fall out or all but it looks crappy when it happens and the guitar sounds like it's falling apart. you can adjust the pickups easily to tighten it up again but it'd be nice if I didn't have to do that. And one last thing is that the knobs and selector Switch parts fall off and I had to super glue them on.

It's made in indonesia, I'm not sure what year it is but if anyone can tell by the serial code "050854118". It has 24 Jumbo frets. Not sure of the body and neck woods. But the rg body is great to work with, it's not to heavy, not as light as an S series guitar but it's reasonable, The neck feels good, the shark fin fret markers are a nice feature, it has one volume, one tone and a 3-way selector. The thing just looks great for something of it's price.

SkAsupafly
    great guitar for for every type of rock. RG series ibanez you can't beat it. don't need to worry about screwin up tuning with tremelo. this guitar is great. im gonna buy it
    sidereal9
    just bought it to 300 same price as a paid for the rg2ex2 so returned that for this it seems to play better than the ex2 damn nice guitar for the price
    Dreamer_of_Evil
    i own one of these and i believe i have a picture of it in my profile. It's really good for the price, but the pick-up advice (review 1) is a good suggestion.
    DOA12345
    got this guitar for christmas and I can already tell that with a string change and a few minor mods that it'll be perfect