RG3EX1 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG3EX1

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

This guitar was made for hard rock/metal. I've used it with a variety of amps that I've owned in the past; Marshall MG100HDFX, Crate V18, Peavey Windsor, etc. Like I said, the RG is more suitable for hard rock/metal... sounds best with high gain amplifiers. Out of all the guitars I own, this is probably the least-versatile. Which is fine with me, I bought it as a metal guitar.

Perfect guitar for metal. I've been playing for a few years now, and this was my 2nd 'real, name brand' guitar. If this guitar was stolen, I would definitely buy another one. It is probably my favorite guitar I own. I love everything about this guitar; the finish, the inlays, the feel of the neck, even the pickups are decent for being stock. If I had to choose one thing to change, I would put active EMGs in it... I might actually end up doing that on this guitar.

I've used this guitar several times live. The hardware is very durable. Even though the Switch had a loose connection, it seems very solid and kind of 'clicks' into place. Strap buttons were removed for straplocks, but were solid from the factory. I would definitely use this guitar without a backup. Like I said earlier, the finish on these guitars are amazing. The pictures on the internet don't really do it justice.

The action was set up really good from the factory. The only thing I changed was the string gauges. Pickups were adjusted well and actually sound good for passive EMGs. I keep the action really low on it and the neck is very fast. The only flaw on my guitar when I got it was a loose connection in the toggle Switch... it was really staticky. Fixed really easily and has been rockin' ever since. The finish on these quilted maple guitars are beautiful.

Not sure what year it was made, purchased it less than a year ago. Has 24 frets with sharktooth inlays. Quilted maple top in a variety of colors, I got the red one. Standard Ibanez fixed bridge, with passive EMG-designed humbuckers. Single tone, single volume controls, with a 3-way toggle switch for the pickups.