RG3EX1 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG3EX1

I play mostly rock and metal with some odd bits like blues and classical. This guitar fits great with any style you choose to play. I play it through a Spider III 15 and I can get most any sound I want out of it. Compared to other guitar with the same amplifier, it has a brighter, crisper sound, great for playing past the 12th fret. Any variety of sounds can be played, it all depends on the settings you put to it.

It's a wonderful instrument, far better than anything I have played, aside from the extremely high quality Gibsons and Fenders I've sampled in shops. I've been playing for 2 years, and never been happier with a purchase. If this were stolen or lost, I probably would buy a newer model of the same type, and pay a bit more. The reason I chose this was the style and type were exactly what I was looking for, and it fell in my limited price range. The only thing I would add to this guitar is slightly better pickups, and I've always wanted a Floyd Rose bridge, and if I were to purchase another guitar, that's what I would have to get.

I play this guitar daily, and so far it has worked great. A few minor bumps and bruises have harmed the looks a bit, but on other guitars the damage could have been worse. The sound, however is unaffected by anything I put the guitar through. Never popped a strap. I'd use this guitar on a gig with no backup and no worries; it's hellaciously tough. Everything stays fit easily, and it takes quite a bit to damage anything.

The action was a little too high for my liking, but not much. The neck pickup tends to sink into the body of the guitar, unfortunately, and I have to adjust it occasionally. The finish and hardware were excellent, though it did have a minor scratch beneath the lacquer. Everything else felt and worked great, though the volume and tone knobs have gotten a bit stiff. That is probably caused by accidental damage, not by factory flaws, though.

Made in Indonesia in 2008. It has 24 jumbo frets on a rosewood fretboard, and a thin, flat neck that makes shredding a breeze. It's got a basswood body with a quilted maple top, and is the Stratocaster body style with sharp horns. Tune-O-Matic bridge on a string-thru. It has one volume and one tone knob, and a three way pickup Switch. Dual humbuckers made by EMG. Non-locking tuners. The guitar did not come with any accessories.