RG3EXFM1 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG3EXFM1

Purchased from: Www.Musiciansfriend.com

The Guitar looks like it was built for Metal, but looks can be deceiving. The stock neck pickup, Ibanez's V7 Model, is a decent clean pickup. It kept up with everything from Clapton, to the Clean runs of Metallica's music. However, it was a bit muddy, and so I replaced it with a DiMarzio Air Norton, and now the cleans are flawless. The stock V8 pickup in the Bridge was also decent, but only when distorted. It suited my Metal needs, but didn't really pack enough punch for me, and so I replaced it with a DiMarzio D-Sonic. And let me tell you, with the right pickups? This guitar is a Metal Machine, but has the ability to hit all kinds of music and excel at it. I practice based on my mood, So sometimes I'm playing blues, or some mellow Pink Floyd music, And the RG is perfect for it. But then other days, I'm riffing and shredding my way through some 80's Metal? And that's when this guitar REALLY excels. So it's not just a Metal axe, but it's a great Metal Axe, You know?

I play a wide variety of music, and this guitar really does a great job at everything I've tried. After being played through a Line 6 Spider IV, a Randall combo, and a friends' Fender Frontman? I'm sold that this guitar sounds great in everything it does. For the price of $350? It's an absolute steal! If it were stolen, I'd definately get it again! I love the neck, and the versatility of this Guitar, but I hate that I had to replace the stock pups to get a clear clean and punchy distortion. But thats to-be-expected when it comes to stock pickups on guitars. I would reccomend this Guitar to anyone looking for any intermediate player looking for a great axe to explore their potential on.

I've used this baby at all kinds of Gigs, from battle of the band at the local high school, to a low-key coffee shop set. And it really held up great. The Hardware is good as it was on day one, all I had to do was tighten the tuners because I use Beefy Slinkies. I would gig this without a backup, I have total Faith in this guitar.

The factory set-up wasn't terrible. I lowered the bridge a little bit, to bring the strings closer to the fretboard and it was perfect for me. Some people prefer otherwise, and in such case, you might want to tweak it a little to your taste. The Passive Pickups were adjusted to a good height out of the box and required no adjustment, and they were wired perfectly. No hum, No Buzz, Just right. The Guitar had no visible flaws, not scratches or dents, and even today, two years later, after dropping it, gigging with it, and putting it through hell? The finish still looks great!

Made in Indonesia, this Guitar is an absolute steal for the price. The Gutiar has 24 Jumbo frets on a Rosewood fretboard; fashioned with Ibanez style Sharkfin inlays. The Neck itself is a 3 peice maple Wizard II bolt-on neck, and it rocks! It's really sleek, and thinner than normal guitar necks, thus allowing comfortable shredding and riffing. The Body is made from basswood with an intense looking Grey Transparent Burst. The paint looks great, but the finish is VERY susceptable to fingerprints so, polish often! The Bridge is a thru-body that comes in a dark grey metallic color, which matches the knobs and tuners. The whole color scheme of the guitar is very dark, almost ghostly. As far as Electronics go, It came with the 5-Way selector wired into the stock V7&V8 pickups (Dual Humbuckers), which aren't bad at all. But, they are stock pickups nonetheless, and I replaced them with DiMarzio's. All in All, The Hardware has held up to everyday abuse for over 2 years now, and besides the change of pickups? It still looks brand new!

abbydaddy03
    portalsedge
    ibanez guitars are japanese, so.... why would they make it in the us?
    NiallXoldham
    FuruiShin wrote: Changing pick up's in medium price ibanezes is one of the first things you need to do with those guitars xD. I don't like ibanez pick up's sounds too ;/. Anyway good review ;]. That guitar is quite good but i would love to have floyd in my next guitar so definetly won't purchase it . But there are still some ppl who says that ibanez floyds are sucked etc. etd. just becouse they didn't read the instruction/watched tutorials on yt xD. That guitar suits them best .
    I agree completely. I have used a Jackson Original Floyd, a Ibanez Edge II and en ESP with a licensed floyd in my search for my perfect guitar. The Ibanez Floyds/edge/ZR bridges are by far everything a floating trem user could ever desire, tuning stability, pitch control, and the sustain compared to the licensed floyd, no words can describe the difference
    iceh88
    not a bad guitar, Get the pickups replaced and get it setup professionally and it is a nice piece of equipment.
    RIotdenied58
    ....so you bought a "Japanese" guitar and love it, but hate that its not made in the US....
    espplayer400
    oh, and how many guitars do you own that hav been made in the USA? and you know that alot of japanese built guitars are on par or sometimes even better than USA models. And if you love your chinese mde guitar, what does it matter to you
    1ArmyGuitar
    I have the discontinued QM1, and for the price it is a solid axe. I had a JB/JAZZ set in it, and swapped it for Blackouts and man it is a monster!
    NickGiovanni
    Indonesia made is definately better quality in my opinion. Guitars made in china are usually low-end models
    bippi
    NickGiovanni
    Thanks for the positive comments and praise everyone, I'd gladly write more reviews, but I dont have anymore Guitars; and If I reviewed a Line 6 amp, all hell would rain down upon me. So, Pickup Reviews Ftw? Hahah
    L2112Lif
    "However, it was a bit muddy, and so I replaced it with a DiMarzio Air Norton, and now the cleans are flawless."
    " It suited my Metal needs, but didn't really pack enough punch for me, and so I replaced it with a DiMarzio D-Sonic."
    Did it deserve a 10 before your modification? You can't rate a modified guitar like its a stock guitar. If the cleans were muddy with the original pickup, then it shouldn't get a 10. You acknowledge the change, and how they sound with the 'right' pickups... Which is more than some people do on these reviews. Other than that, I enjoyed reading this. I hope to read another by you at some other date, because you seem to know your way around the instrument (Unlike some other reviews. )
    TheAbsentOne
    It deserves to be played through a better amp. Of course I mean no offence, this was a very good review.
    TheAbsentOne
    bustapr wrote: Do the stock V7 and V8 sound better than the INF 3 and 4.
    I own an Ibanez RG2EX2, and I previously owned an Ibanez RG350DX, and I can say, without a doubt, the V7 and V8 blow the INF pickups out of the water. The INF pickups in the RG350 always sounded quite bland to me, like no real "Character" I suppose. The V7/8 pickups (In my personal opinion) seem much more articulate, versatile, and also I feel they handle distortion better. I have a friend who plays in a basic classic rock-type band, and he owns an RG350, it suits him fine for that, but I'm primarily a metal player and the V's just do it better. I hope that helped, didn't realize the wall I wrote. Sorry
    Andrew2k
    I would buy it if it had a floyd rose but nah haha good review though
    Disturbdkornkid
    bustapr wrote: Do the stock V7 and V8 sound better than the INF 3 and 4.
    Haven't tried a guitar with the V7 and V8 but my RG350EX has two INF3 (neck and middle) and an INF4 (bridge) and I love the tone I can get from it, very versatile stock pickups imo.
    Whiskey Tango
    Luv me some Ibanez. Even after acquiring a nice PRS I still love my RG570s. Have thought a couple of times about selling 1 or 2 of them, but just can't bring myself to do it.
    PopPunkPotHead
    bustapr wrote: Do the stock V7 and V8 sound better than the INF 3 and 4.
    Yes they do, imo they are more trebly and articulate. Tighter riffs. The V7/8 are kind of muddy with alot of gain. which is like the RG zone so cheap INF pickups FTW!
    FuruiShin
    I've never played the INF 3&4 models, so I can't really say. Sorry Dude
    Marley Tokunaga
    portalsedge wrote: bippi wrote: Hai buddies, before I apologize because I am new here. I just want to ask. What do you think about guitars made in Indonesia with Chinese-made. Thanks abbydaddy03 wrote: I have a mid price Ibanez acoustic/electric and I love it! It is made in China, and I find it just so effing irritating that even these instruments aren't made in the USA. ibanez guitars are japanese, so.... why would they make it in the us?