RG3EXFM1 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG3EXFM1

Purchased from: Ebay-Used

I am in an alt. metal/alt. rock band, and I LOVE Staind and all of that stuff from '94-05 nu-metal and what not. Korn, Cold, Evanescence, Slipknot, Coal Chamber, Skrape, etc. It only fits those kinds of styles if tweaked right though. On high gain or distortion it doesn't really get very noisy. suprisingly. Fear Factory/Meshuggah stuff isn't as easy because it can get somewhat muddy on lower tunings. I play it through, usually a Randall RX120dhs, on occasion a old Marshall from the '90's and as for effects I use a DigiTech rp500. Most overdrive stuff is from my amp, but I can't get enough crunch unless it's a preset. Effects are absolutely BEAUTIFULL though as is the clean settings, you can get a great warm, jazzy tone through tweakage. As I said, not very noisy unless on high volume or DISTORTION only distortion though. Overall a balanced tone of warm/bright. Not to rich. PU's are shit. Harmonics are hard to make with it. Not very responsive. Bluegrass ALLLLL THEEEE WAAAAAY to Proggresive Metal. Amazing tone range.

It matches my style perfectly, necks great and action is perfect. I've been playing for about 4.5 years now, and I've played better. I can only really complain about it being muddy on high, a little agravating if drop tuned, and the oxidized bridge. I would suggest the RG2EX1 instead of the RG3. Only thing that makes it more expensive is the top really. No better Wishing that it had a string-thru tail instead, and some passive SD's.

It really can withstand a beating, cause my playing style is pretty rough. I wouldn't use it live unless I was playing acousticly or on a clean setting. To muddy for live play. Hardware wise, it is rock solid. If you use the tone nob. I'd suggest taking the nob off. It can easily move. If I was using it in a gig, I would have a backup.

I bought it used so idk about factory stuff. As for any setups, not had any problems, I've owned a few RG's and never had durability/reliabilty problems.The bridge has oxidizied a little though. The uh, finish is great, NO fingerprints at ALL it's pretty cool. Well the action is kinda low, but I bought it used so idk.

First off, this is DEFINETLY NOT a high end/ intermediate level RG. It's from indonesia so, thats to be expected. It' body is solid w/flamed maple top(grey), and it's regular, no beveled shit or arches. It's frets are inlayed with Shark tooths and there are 24 of them. Not sure the scale lenght. I think about 25". it's solid Basswood with a wizard II bolt-on maple neck and a rosewood fingerboard. It has a stock Ibanez bridge. Not to good you know. BUT! I play in Drop Ab so....yeah that might ba a reason. It probably would stay in, i'd say down to C pretty good. It's PU's are, get this V7-V8! They are jokes. hate them. ASAP switching to Blackouts. It's controls are a 6-way megaswitch and volume, tone levels. It has stock Ibanez tuners that seem like they lock, but don't after about a 6 weeks. But that might just be mine idk.