RG420EG review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG420EG

I'm playing a lot of style (from classic to death metal) but mainly instrumental rock (Satriani, Vai, EJ) and 80s 90s metal (Iron Maiden, Metallica, Dream Theater) . This guitar is mainly made for that. Most of the time, I'm playing with my small pratice amp (Line 6 Spider IV) but when I'm playing with friends or more seriously, I have "burrowded" a Marshall amp (DSL 100) to one of my friendand it's sound just so great. I'm sometimes using some friends pedal but my only one is a satchurator. When I'm playing jazz and/or classic, I'm always getting a very nice sound (espessially with jazz, Ifound how to got a "Stanley Jordan" sound style). Never had noise problem, the sound was always as I wanted it. The big variety of sound that this guitar can get is just astonishing. So if you're playing lot of diffent style of music and you don't want to sacrifice one of them? This guitar is for you.

This is maybe the best deal I'll do in my life. /50$ bucks for this guitar is absolutelly amazing. I would have payed up to 550$ to an has good guitar anywhere else. I was at begining looking for an RG350 or 370 but when I saw this one for this price, I went to try it and I loved it. I have a friend who have a Shecter Omen Extreme (with floyd rose) and my guitar sounds better, even if we are using the same amp. And he paid 650$ (taxes not included). In conclusion, I would reccomend this guitar to anyone who is playing almost any type of music, it's true that for big brutal death metal other guitar are better ad for classic, you can use an accoustic or classic (nylon string guitar) and it' go better. Have tried a lot of different guitar in past 2 years I can tell you that if I want a better guitar, I'll need to pay more than 1000 bucks. A great guitar who surpirsed me in a very good way :).

Only making 6 month that I have this guitar so it's hard to judge. I hadn't had any problem till here and it's looking that I won't have some soon. Played a cupple of time live (small audience +-200 peoples max) and it was always good. No problem with trems or tuning, no rpoblem with strap button. I could be depending on it but I'm always bringing my Ibanez SA260FM in case that something happen (like that I drop my guitar, thing I've done a cupple of time but it was in my bedroom and it didn't fell from high). Giving it a 10 because eveything was perfect and the guitar really look solid. I also check the inside (just beofre writting this) to see if everything was correct and it al looks brand new.

Except for the trem, everything was well seted-up. The action is low (how I love it) and I didn't made any modifications (except setting up the Floyd Rose trem). Pick ups were well ajusted. I heard of some people that on some RG's model, pickups weren't ajusted properly. I don't know if it's real but you shouldn't get this problem with this guitar. The only thing I change is that I colored the sharks tooths inlay with green (same green that on Morbid Angel guitarist Trey Azaragoth).

It's a brand new RG420Eg that I bought six moth ago. It's a 2008 or 2009 model. Like a lot of RG's its a wizard neck, 24 frets Shark tooths inlay, jumbo frets, and it's a fast neck. It's also a thin neck, very good for fast playing. It's a solid top guitar made of basswood. Depending of the year of the model you buy, the finish might be different. This Ibanez as a good Floyd Rose trem (Edgde III) which is very good because it keeps the strings well tuned IF IT IS SETTLED PROPERLY! There's a lot of videos on youtube that are showing you how to set-up an edge III properly.There are locking nuts which are also helping. There is two humbucker pick-ups (V7 and V8). They are good, and for the price I paid, it's very good). I'm thing to think to replace them but two good pickus will cost me more than half of what this guitar cost to me. There'S a 5-way selector, which can give you lot of different sounds.

Cannibal Koala
    klemaniac wrote: He means $550. He just hit the shift key when he pressed '5'.
    I don't think so. He put that he would of payed 550$ anywhere else in the impression section. Therefore, I give this man props for his deal-making skills.
    ChicagoShredder
    what country are you from and/or how old are you. GEEZUS! $50!?!?!?!?!? you should be a car salesman
    Heideck
    Ok, first it is 350$ (I have good salesman skill but not enough to get it for 50$), Secondly, English is my 4rth language (French, Deutsch, norwegian and then English) and I do make some mistake.
    smokedhamtaro
    50 ****in dollars???? Holy shiznit. This dude is a god!!!! Teach me your masterful ways of haggling!!!!!
    Heideck
    And I should have check the grammar before posting it. I'll re-write it soon.
    Brendan.Clace
    slash.r0cks
    Brendan.Clace wrote: I really wish the UG would prevent articles with this level of grammatical errors from popping up on the main page of the website. This review is atrocious in terms of grammar.
    I agree. Great review, but we don't accept tabs with terrible format; why are reviews any different?