RG420EG review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG420EG

This guitar was made in Indonesia but it doesn't show it at all. It was built well, without flaws in the finish or hardware. It has 24 jumbo frets, on a rosewood fingerboard. The neck itself is made out of maple and it shows wood grain beautifully. The neck has a matte finish allowing for speedy playing. It is a solid top guitar, made out of basswood. I got the iron silver finish. It is obviously an RG series guitar. It has an Ibanez Floyd-Rose style trem with passive electronics. It has V7 and V8 humbuckers and Ibanez tuners.

I play mostly classic rock, punk, GNR metal and some jazz. This guitar covers those genres well. As it is an Ibanez it handles any metal/shredding that I play. I use a Vox tube amp, and sometimes a cheap fender solid state and it sounds good through both. It gives a good crunch distortion, and can handle reverb-cleans. The sound can be very bright and trebly, but it can also give a dark distorted sound. This guitar is my go to for practicing and composing as I can get a variety of sounds though it.

I have no problem with how this guitar was setup at the factory. The action is pretty low, I see this as an asset for speedy solos, the frets however do not buzz. I have kept all the hardware/pickups stock and its totally fine. None of it has faded and the metallic parts are still the original black. Since it has a Floyd Rose bridge, I am able to hold the tuning for weeks without adjusting. There are no flaws and after almost 4 years of relentless playing, it still works perfectly. If you treat her right, she'll fulfill all of your musical needs.

The guitar will withstand even the most abusive live playing. The hardware is solid and has never been adjusted once. I have nothing against the strap buttons, but I use strap locks as a precaution. I can depend on this guitar for good tones on any stage I play. I would not gig without a backup as live performances are unpredictable. The finish has yet to wear out, save a few minor dings, it looks good as new. I play this thing daily, and it has perfect intonation and tuning stability. Everything is just like the day I bought it, this guitar can hold its own onstage.

This guitar is a perfect match for me, I would never sell it. I have been playing about 5 years and I love this guitar. I also own a MIM Strat and a Gibson SG Standard, and I love this guitar just as much as the others. If lost, and I could afford a replacement I would. They go on the used market for about $400-500 near me so it has a good resale value. My favorite feature is the bridge which never loses it's tuning. I compared it to other brands within the price range, Jackson, DBZ, Dean, and this guitar came out on top. Overall it is a solid, reliable good sounding instrument for anything from jazz, to blues, to rock, to death metal.

stijn12100
    Ok for those who are commenting on the false grammar, please don't. I am a grammar nazi myself, but when it comes to people sending in something that could actually help you, let them be. If they want to upload a review with bad grammar, it's their own decision, they are still just trying to help people who consider buying the reviewed object. Please learn something from this and with something, I mean respect