RG420FB review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG420FB

Price paid: C$ 550

Purchased from: International Musicland Ottawa

I really think this guitar can handle alot of music. I usually play metal, but also play punk, and mess around with some blues and classic rock sometimes. I am playing through a Peavey Vypyr 15 at the moment (Not the greatest) with no effects. It has some buzz, even though there's a layer of paint that's supposed to eliminate buzzing, I'd definitely shield this with some copper tape. Other than that it's got a really nice balanced sound, thanks to the mahogany and the bubinga. Pretty nice sounding, pickup upgrades (and a new amp) would help.

I love playing on this guitar. The neck is an absolute dream and it's a relatively light guitar. I've been playing for about 2.5 years, and also have a Rocker Strat copy that I named Sh-t, and a Yamaha acoustic that I like. If this guitar were stolen, I'd probably contemplate getting a V, only because of the looks, but this thing still looks awesome. I played some other Ibanez guitars (Ibanez RG370EX) and a Kramer Striker 211. The only thing that could make it better would be some new pickups, and a thicker clear coat. Looks and feels great, not the best, but amazing for the price.

The guitar would most likely withstand live playing, but I haven't gigged with it. The hardware does seem sturdy. I replaced the straplocks with Schaller ones right away so I wouldn't risk dropping this thing (but I still manage to drop it when I'm not playing it.) I would bring a back up to any gig, only because you never know what could happen, and it's time consuming to change tuning on a floyd equipped guitar. The top is very sturdy, but the back and sides are easy to dent and scratch. The Floyd is a hassle sometimes, and the back is somewhat delicate.

The guitar was about 1/4 step out of tune when I got it, not a big deal. Action and intonation was not perfect, but wasn't bad enough for me to change. The guitar looks really nice, but the mahogany scratches and dents very easily. The white neck binding has a small chip on the bass side at the 24th fret, but it's barely noticeable. The volume knob comes loose every once in a while, but I don't find that a big deal. The Cosmo Black hardware wears off after a while, but its only aesthetic, and I think it looks kinda cool. Could've been taken care of a little better.

This is an Indonesian model, made in 2011. It has 24 jumbo frets on an extremely thin maple neck, rosewood fretboard, with sharkfin inlays. It has a mahogany body with a figured Bubinga top that has a Brown Burst Finish. It comes with the Edge Zero II Trem, with the ZPS (zero point system). It has 2 passive Ibanez humbuckers, a volume, tone, and 5 way selector switch. Tuners are also Ibanez. Features are nothing special.

Lucifarion
    Seriously people, this is supposed to be a review about the RG420FB not Line 6 amps. But as it seems most people that have commented so far are idiots I'm going to set a few things straight about Line 6's. 1. For the morons that claim Line 6 amps are only for beginners. If that was true then why is it that the guitarists from slipknot, dashboard confessional, cradle of filth and a bunch of other bands use them in the studio for recording and on stage live? Hmmm is it because if you know what you're doing you can dial in a tonne of different tones? Or maybe it's because although digital they are extremely versatile... unless you're a moron anyways. 2. The smaller wattage Line 6's (15 and 30 watts)are ok for practice amps but are not meant for live situations. The 75 watt spiders and up are incredible amps, and are great for small venues and band practices. Now as far as the tools that state Ibanez are for virtuoso's and nothing else... get stuffed if you don't like Ibanez guitars go find something else, there's a reason that some of the most shred savy axe-men (and women) choose Ibanez.... the necks are incredible, the Pick-ups and hardware are better stock then most other guitars could ever dream of being.... Gibson I'm looking at you. Not to mention that Ibanez make the best trems on the market.... I've owned Jacksons, LTDs, Gibsons, Fenders, and PRS guitars. Nothing competes with the Ibanez trems, Floyd Roses wish they were this smooth and could hold tune this well. You just gotta set them up right the first time.
    snaggleyoda
    I've got an rg350dx with edge III. Like it much better than OFR on my 270. Far better for palm mutes & much easier to restring.
    Vathalan
    Bubinga is a tone wood very similar in sound characteristics to rosewood (it is a type of rosewood). It's from Africa I Believe, and it has a really nice swirl to it.
    thf24
    thf24
    thf24 wrote: I see a lot of people in these comments using "solid state" and "digital" interchangeably. They aren't necessarily the same thing.
    That's a little misleading, what I meant is that a solid state amp isn't necessarily digital.