RG470 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG470

Purchased from: Tom Lee Music

My music style is basicaly rock/punk, and most RGs would fit that playing style. I'm using it with a Marshall G10MK.II practice amp, and a BOSS OS-2 compact pedal. The only flaw i noticed was that the V8 was slightly noisy and muddy if i didnt plug it through the effects, but i reckon its OK with the effects in. Since the body is basswood, the sounds are bright, but the V7 pickup can produce some fat sounding sounds if i plug it through the effects. Without effects, youre stuck with the 3 pickups, with the V7 humbucker having a deeper and richer tone, whilst the V8 has a bright sounding tone. The S1 single is OK, but it isnt the greatest; I dont like it very much, so i hardly use it. positions 2 and 4 can produce quite a clean sound.

I've been playing for a little more than one and a half years, and i currently own a practice amp along with a distortion pedal I bought this guitar whilst it was on sale, and I was on a pretty tight budget at that time. The original price was $3800HKD. If it were stolen or lost, i wouldn't go wiht teh Ibanez RG 4XX series, I'd go get a 5xx series with a proper trem; the Lo-TRS, frankly sucks. When i bought it, i had compared it to a RG550 which was also on sale at the time, but my funds didn't allow me to buy the 550. It's not a bad guitar at all, but with most Ibanez low/mid range models, its let down by the trem. For the price i got it at, i reckon it was fantastic value.

I've played this guitar live at school, and it does fine at it. The hardware should last, but I'm not to keen on the cosmo black finishing on the bridge, it looks like it could flake off any day. I could depend on this guitar; well, its more like i have to, since its my only guitar. I dont think it woudl let me down for a long while. I guess i could use it on a gig without a backup, I dont see how it would suddenly render itself unuseable at the moment.

The guitar wasnt set up at the factory, it was set up at the dealer. Frankly, it was pretty terrible, with the only thing that was done properly being the intonation and the pickup height. I put up with some pretty high action for about a week, and took it apart myself using tutorials to set it up. The bridge angle was done badly; it was forward dumped. The body routings were OK, but a bit off; the bridge had 1mm clearance on oen side, and 3-4mm on the other side. The rest was absolutely great, despite the cosmo black finishing was a little whack on the bridge. Also, teh bridge, being a Lo-TRS, goes out of tune pretty badly after some whammy bar use, I'd go buy an original floyd rose or an Ibanez Edge/Lo-Pro Edge to replace it some day.

Made in Japan, '02 (unlike most other 4XX series Ibanezes, which tend to be made in Korea 24 frets Solid top Volume, Tone, 5-way selector H/S/H IBZ V7/S1/V8 pickups Passive electronics, no battery needed. Basswood body Super Strat style Ibanez Lo-TRS Floyd Rose style bridge 1 piece maple neck, maple headstock, rosewood fretboard, jumbo frets, wizard II specs Hard case, 2 allen wrenches and a truss rod adjustment tool