RG470 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG470

Purchased from: Marcus Music

I like playing blues, rock, metal and shred. it is excellent for metal and shred, and gets a surprisingly authentic blues (not as good as a Strat, but still pretty good) and classic rock (not as good as a Les Paul, but still pretty good) tone. And of course, it does the metal and shred tones better than those two guitars. The neck pickup sounds great for cleans as well very warm. I'm using it with a Marshall AVT100 amp. All in all, really versatile, and a good buy unless you just want to play one style of music i.e. if you want to play just blues, buy a Strat, or if you want to play just classic rock, buy a Les Paul, but if you want to play lots of styles, this is a good guitar. A solid 4 stars.

Yep, this suits my type of music perfectly, I'm considering buying another RG soon (a J-custom this time) so that's the best impression I can give of it!

The Lo-Trs tremelo, it broke on me and refuses to stay in tune. I had to get a tech to block it off, so now I can't raise the pitch of notes with the bar. Also, I need to get new frets (according to this tech) I must have been playing too hard!

No problems coming from the factory.

It's a made in Japan double cutaway super Strat type guitar, in titanium ice (or glittery purple to people who speak English). The body wood is basswood (which is nice and light, while still a pretty good tone, somewhat between alder and mahogany), while the neck is maple with a rosewood fretboard with 24 jumbo frets. The width at the nut is 43mm (1 11/16"). The neck is super slim and fast. It has Bridge and Neck Humbuckers (V7 and V8) and an S1 single coil in the middle (all passive). These are governed by a 5-way selector Switch, and there is both a master volume and tone knob. It has an Ibanez double locking Lo-Trs licensed Floyd Rose recessed tremelo. This is awful and broke on me, spoiling an otherwise excellent guitar- this is why it gets 4 stars instead of 5.