RG470 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG470

Purchased from: Lakeland Music

I bought this guitar because when I played it through the amp at the shop the sound was amazing. I figured maybe it was just the amp, but I tried several of the amps in the store and it didn't effect how awesome it sounded. I play it through Line 6 Spider II amp and I haven't found a guitar that sounds better to me yet.

I play several styles of music, classical, punk, metal, blues, and other various emo/screamo/hardcore genres. This guitar is versital in all those genres. I've been playing 13 years now and I haven't found another guitar that feels as good and sounds as good as this one. If this guitar was stolen I would personally try to track it down, but if I couldn't find it, I would deffinately try to buy a new one or a used one. The RG470 is my favorite out of my collection and one of the best guitars I have ever played.

This guitar will deffinately take some abuse. I try to take very good care of my guitars, but my younger brother unfortunatly has no respect for them what so ever. This guitar has be dropped and knocked into several walls and doors. This guitar is my main stage guitar. I wouldn't choose any other. It stays in tune wonderfully and feels sturdy and secure while I play.

This guitar is very well put together. I found no flaws in the way it plays. The neck is thin and fast. The hardware is securely attached and the holes are routed out perfectly. The body cut isn't in the way and it's fits comfotably with my style of playing. The body is light weight and the strap buttons are slightly larger than others, letting the strap stay on better.

CigarKid
    I just bought a RG470(Japan)the other day. The salesman in the Daddy's Junky Music store was trying to sell me a New more expensive version of this one with a handle hole in the body of the guitar. They wanted $2200 for it. I told him from the begining that I was looking for a Joe Satriani type guitar with a wammy bar for around $1000. While he was playing Car Dealer "I have to ask my boss if he will accept your lower offer of $1800. I wandered around and found a Used Black RG470 Ibanez for only $350. I plugged it in and was amazed how good it sounded and played. The action was a little bit too low and the strings were buzzing on the frets a bit, but I knew I could adjust it if I bought it(which of coure I did). Of course the sales guy returned to accept my offer of $1800 (which really wasn't in my price range anyway) and I asked him "why is the RG470 so inexpensive?". Of course he said that the more expensive Steve Vai guitar had better quality parts ect. ect... But Come-On... $300 or $1800.... Hmmmm, let me think. Anyway, surprise surprise, he was displeased when I told him I decided to bye the $300 one. Heck, I had extra money to buy a Weeping Demon Wha Pedal, a Boss Compresion\Sustainer and of course to go with all that wonderful noise, a Noise Suppressor, and some Monster Cables. Heck, I still saved over $1000 and had more stuff. Bottom Line: I have owned many Fenders and Gibsons over the years and have been playing on and off for over 30 years, but for the money, this is by far, the best guitar I have ever owned. If you can find one in good condition, "I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!" Oh ya, my friend owned this guitar before and he said when you change the strings, make sure you don't overtighten the alen wrench screws to put the strings into the part on the bridge that holds the stings in or the little metal piece will crack. The metal is soft and does not need to be too tight to still hold the string from popping out.
    Mutley1
    I have a red and and black RG470 with gold hardware. It is a used korean model i paid about $550 for it. which was too much really but they are rare in Ireland. the pickups are the INF type i dont think they are great. can anyone give me anymore information on this guitar, and how much it is actually worth. cheers
    dimatrod
    My brother bought this guitar around 8 years ago, and I literally begged him to give it to me since he had it lying down in his closet for nearly half that time (he eventually gave in and gave it to me). It's a black '96 Korean model, and I love it. I changed pickups to SD Jazz/JB/mini '59, changed FR to OFR, added coil tap, and an additional pickup selector. Man is this a beast. I can play Dream Theater and a second later play Ryan Adams or John Mayer or just about anything. Original pickups/FR aren't that hot, but come on, for a $400 guitar, add $300 worth of stuff, and it compares to really expensive ones (guy at this store valuated it at $1600).