RG470 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG470

This guitar can suit most styles. I mainly play Rock, Ska, New Wave, Punk, and Post-Punk. It perfectly suits all these styles. And like most Ibanez's this guitar is excellent at metal. I play it through a Johnson Reptone 15 Amp and use a Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion Pedal. The Neck p-up's a bit muddy; I hardly ever use it. The middle has a nice clean almost Strat like tone; It's perfect for Ska and New Wave. The Bridge Pick-up is best for Punk and metal, due to it's high gain.

This guitar is excellent for my style of music; Punk, Ska, New Wave, etc. If it were stolen/lost I would buy it again, or I'd buy an Ibanez S470. The main thing I dislike about this guitar is that the volume knob controls gain more than volume and if turned on full will overdrive almost any amp. The best thing about this guitar is that by changing pick-ups you can quickly adjust the tone/gain. Overall a very good guitar for the price.

This guitar is very reliable; I would gig it without a backup. This guitar is fourteen years old with all of it's original hardware still working properly. The Strap buttons are very solid, I've never dropped it. The finish has lasted very well so far, but it was just painted on 6 months ago...

I bought this from a guitarshop, where they had re-painted it, cleaned it, and adjusted it. It did have a little rust in the screw heads and on the pickups, but I scraped it off. Otherwards the guitar was fine. There wasn't any cosmetic or opperational flaws. This guitar has excellent action, almost too low.

Year: Built in '96 in Korea Features: 24 Jumbo Frets, Wizard III Neck, Floyd Rose Tremelo, Passive Pick-ups, 1 Volume control, 1 Tone control, 5-way selector, Basswood body Pick-ups: H-S-H; Standard issue The Wizard III neck is very thin and perfect for solos and movable barre chords.

Good_Lord
    Hells.Mascot
    Good_Lord wrote: Ibanez can't find appealing names for their guitars ??? Come on ... RG470 doesn't sound good to me ... yah they are nice guitars , but their name sucks !
    What are you talking about? All their model names just roll off the tongue.
    DukeFame
    I still don't get why so many guitars cost so much and are made from basswood with a bolt on maple neck gimme a break
    LightxGrenade
    mEtAlORc wrote: the first guy paid 4000 :S
    maybe it was in another currency? If not then he got worked over, just like the guy who payed 700 for it haha. My friend has this guitar, not bad. It does play fast, I personally don't agree with the reviewers claims of how versatile the guitar is tho...
    KentWest
    Mine is a 1999 Japanese Fujigen verstion. I feel like I stole it for $270. I agree with some of the other reviewers that the weak point is definitely the Lo-TRS bridge. The tuners are loose and slip on it and it won't stay in tune. I plan to replace it with an Edge Pro, which should just drop right in. Other than that, the quality, playability, sound, fit and finish are comparable to the current Prestige series, and was made in the same factory. Mine also has a cool neck that has tiger stripes in the wood. This is the only one like this I have seen - I feel like I got lucky to get such a cool, nice playing shred guitar so cheap - which makes me wonder why comparable Ibanez models from this era go for $500 to $1,000. Anyway, a great bargain for those of us who don't have $1,000 to drop on a new Prestige.
    Robbin'TheHood
    Mine is a 1999 Japanese Fujigen verstion. I feel like I stole it for $270.
    I got mine for $235. The only feature I don't care for the Lo-TRS bridge. I'm probably going to upgrade to a Custom Guitar when I get the cash.