RG470 review by Ibanez

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Ibanez: RG470

Price paid: C$ 150

Purchased from: Kijiji

I play thrash metal, hair metal, punk, pop, rock, and a bit of shred. This guitar suits all these styles quite well. I play through either a Blackstar HT-5 or a Pod X3 with a wah and OD. This guitar is actually pretty bassy in comparison to my other RG's, and I cannot quite figure out why its got so much low end. The crunch lab copes well and can get a nice thick crunch when needed and a sweet, not overly bright bell like tone in the upper register. The LiquiFire is pure warm fluid sex. Very similar to the Air Norton and is great for smooth flowing leads and cleans up for chording very well. My favorite neck pickup to date. This guitar has fantastic sustain and resonance.

I've been playing for 6 years and own 2 other Rg's. An RG370DX and a J-Custom RG8570Z. I love the neck on this guitar, thin and fast D shape. It is slightly thicker than the wizard 3, but feels great in hand. I would buy another right now if it was for a similar price. I just sold an RG1570 prestige and this guitar, beside the bridge and tuners, is its equal. Great every day player and solid workhorse. Only major flaw is the cheap bridge posts. I wish it had an edge pro bridge, but it is very nice to have a 'hardtail' Rg to avoid setup hassles. For about 325$ all together it is fantastic and I truly enjoyed fixing it up.

First and foremost the bridge posts are very very soft metal. They were gouged very deep all around. The bridge itself is actually really nice contrary to popular belief and the knife edges are still perfect. All the hardware has been upgraded, the original pots were junk. The original finish was strong as hell and took forever to sand off. Strap buttons are small and cheap, need locks for sure. I would gig this without much worry as the bridge has been blocked so I can freely change between tunings.

I got this guitar used and in horrible condition. It is one solid peice of basswood for the body and was blemish free, very nice cut of wood. Fretwork is pretty decent, nothing to complain about there. The G string saddle is quite low, so much so I've considered shimming it, but doesn't affect anything negatively.

Made in Japan in 2000. 24 frets 25.5 scale on a rosewood board with an aanj bolt on RG550 maple neck. Basswood body originally in a sparkly pink, has been repainted as a neon green/ black frankenstrat. Japan made Lo-Trs double locking tremolo bridge. H/s/h with a 5 way and aftermarket DiMarzio Crunch Lab/LiquiFire humbuckers and stock s1 single coil. Japanese made tuning heads, manufacturer unknown.

cdreid
    I'm pretty sure the whole MIK / MIJ is bullshit from vintage snobs Sadly the guitar world is full of them. I guess if you cant play blame it on not having a $10,000 signed 1963 strat hendrix played (that was made of plywood with shit paint cheap tuners and rusty pickups but hey its vintage!). I prefer floyd roses but this is fine .. just hypersensitive as opposed to roses.
    DaytonaRG470dx
    Korean RG470dx is worth about 300 in great shape, or 200 beat up a little. The Japanese made RG470’s are worth another 200 more because of the debatable craftsmanship which we all expect from Japanese products. But, I prefer Korean people and model 6 and 7 DiMarzio humbuckers are on most of the Korean RG470’s built in the 90’s and they sound great with real tubes in my Peavey ValveKing and Cabinet of 4 Celestions. Loud screaming noise is what it is all about. Distortion Swing Stick… Hello… Newer RG470’s come with PRS 1’s and 2’s which need to be replaced to even come close to great sound. The fully floating Floyd Rose only holds a tune long enough to get the customer past the cash register. I personally prefer to "hardtail" the floating floyd rose tremolo because it will then hold a tune far longer. The floating floyd rose tremolo needs to be retuned every time you look at it, or even think about it, and the blocked ones (hardtails) can be tossed around and played fairly hard without losing tune, and you still have use of the tremolo (wammy bar). Therefore, I say get an older Korean RG470dx and have a blast. Save your money for guitar lessons.
    duke1659
    hey, there really should be two separate review sections for this guitar, there is the MIJ one, which is really good, and the MIK version, which is not anywhere as good. the necks are different as well, the MIJ neck has a Wizard I profile, but a little thicker, the MIK is a different profile, it doesn't feel as good to me.