RG470MHZ review by Ibanez

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Ibanez: RG470MHZ

Manufactured in 2011 in Indonesia. Has 24 jumbo frets, 25.5" scale, 3 piece wizard 3 maple neck, rosewood fret board, 16" radius, shark tooth inlays. Solid oiled mahogany body, standard RG shape AANJ neck joint. Has Ibanez Edge zero 2 bridge with zps3e double locking tremolo, with screw on whammy bar. Has passive Infinity pickups in an HSH configuration. Has 1 volume 1 tone, 5-way pickup selector switch. Has non-locking Ibanez stock tuners. All hardware is cosmo black. A gator case was included with the purchase, no other accessories included.

This guitar would suit any music style if the pickups were worth a crap. Sense I try to play a pretty wide variety of music (I'm even practicing some banjo parts) I attempted to get a decent sound for many rock genres, & it was no dice. Blue Oyster Cult: No bite one the solos, no punch on the palm mutes & mud for the power chords. Radiohead: Forget it. No note articulation on the arpeggios. These pickups seem to have no life & no character. I ran it straight to a Fender Studio Valve Drive 2x8 amp, with all controls set to midrange. First tried it on the clean channel, then switched to the tube driven crunch channel. There's no noise from the pots or pickup selector. No hum from any selector setting.

I couldn't tell you what sounds this guitar is capable of making since these stock pickups really didn't produce anything worth listening to.

I can't tell you how it was set up at the factory since I bought it used. Pickups did need to be adjusted up however. I will say that the bridge is routed in a way that you can get nice pull ups from it. I did not see any flaws in manufacturing. everything is good & tight, even the neck was fitted tight & even, which I have found to be an issue on some Indonesian makes. There is no oxidation on the hardware, it's all fitted well, no issues with tuning pegs, knobs, locking nut or tremolo system.

Seems like it would withstand live playing, if you could stand to play it live. It seems like a quality build, & I don't believe It would break on you. As far as the finish goes, there is none, as it's oiled mahogany. I you want bring the color back to original it would require some work, or you could go for the road worn look & not clean it at all. Of course I would bring a back-up, I don't care if it's a $10,000 axe, I'm bringing a back-up. Hell I'd have a back-up work truck if I could afford it. Things break.

I play a wide variety of music, but mostly hard rock, not any extreme drop tunings though. Been playing about 3 years, & have a wide range of equipment I've acquired during that time, which would take about 5,000 characters to list, So here's a partial: Ibanez Roadstar II (RG440)(Reviewed) Ibanez RG520QS (Reviewed) (2) Ibanez RG350DX Jackson DK2 eerydess swirl, 1 working bass, a whole lotta project guitars in various levels of repair, a banjo, a keyboard Line 6 POD X3 Live, Line 6 POD HD500, a whole lotta pedals & combo amps.

In summation, this guitar has potential. It looks nice, plays nice, it doesn't sound horrible, but it doesn't inspire either. I have all my working guitars on guitar stands so that I see them every day, & want to pick one up every day. This one sits there. I'll swap pups eventually, I have 2 other guitars with infinity pups in them, & I'll play those. Granted they don't sound great, but I still enjoy hearing them. This one I don't. Maybe these are just not good pickups for a solid mahogany body, I have an RG321MH, with Infinity pups, but it's a string through.

In conclusion: If you like the way it looks, you like the standard RG feel & you plan to upgrade the pups, get one; If you're looking for a gig ready guitar, this ain't it. This is coming from a guy who actually likes Ibanez. I'll rate it a 7 overall because the pups really drag it down.

Ippon
    After a PU change and a proper set-up, that'll destroy through a Diezel VH4 or Bogner Uberschall Twin Jet.
    jacqueslow
    Very nice review! The Ibanez RG series are really comfortable guitars to play, great for beginners too in my opinion.
    azhuk1beetle
    I'm thinking about buying Ibanez Prestige RG752. Would be nice to get a review on it or on its 6-string version RG652.
    rockstar256
    Ibanez pickups sound much worse thab cheap squiers imo. And this is true. Nice rewiec
    Iceman10129
    I would love to know how much of DiMarzios business is from Ibanez pickup replacements.
    BlackDeath92
    DiMarzio certainly had my business when I purchased an Ibanez several years ago. I still don't understand why Ibanez continues to put such garbage pickups in their instruments when there is a plethora of superior options!
    MH400
    Ibanez have a very unfortunate habit of stocking their guitars with awful pick ups.