RG471AH review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG471AH

Purchased from: eBay dealer (new)

I play a fairly wide variety genre-wise, but probably mainly I play overdriven blues, post-grunge, and old style thrash metal. I also will occasionally play classic rock, outlaw country, and assorted other genres that might catch my entrance for a few months at a time. The RG471AH is pretty versatile in matching whatever genre I need it to perform for. I play through a Peavey Transtube 212 EFX, a Blackheart Little Giant, an Orange Crush series, or through my Vox JamVox or Line 6 TonePort UX2 with Gearbox software. As effects with my amps, I use an Electro-Harmonix Germanium 4 and a Big Muff pedal, as well as an Ibanez ToneLok delay and occasionally use a Vox Tonelab ST multi-effects processor. The majority of the time I am only using my amps' distortion and reverb, and go to pedals when I am chasing a specific tone. The Ibanez RG471AH has the same 'weakness' that most of the Ibanezes I've owned have had, which is that the pickups are mediocre. They aren't necessarily bad, but they just don't have the character that a set of DiMarzios would have. I don't have any problem getting as heavy as I want with the Infinity pickups that come stock, can easily get pinch harmonics, and can easily get good clean tones as well it is just they sound a little flat to me. Again, I may be being a little picky, but I believe I'm going to replace the humbuckers with some DiMarzio Breeds. Just to be clear, the stock pickups aren't bad, they just sound mediocre and plain to my ears. I have this guitar tuned to C standard and have been using it mostly for post-grunge type music, as well as some desert rock at the moment as that was one of the most recent music genres to catch my attention.

I've been playing approximately 5 years or so, and I own several other guitars. I currently own a G&L S500 Tribute Series, an Xaviere XV-599, Ibanez AXD83P, and an old Ibanez RG with the original Wizard I neck. I've recently owned and either sold or traded an Epiphone G400, an Ibanez RG370 and an Ibanez RGD. My overall impression of the RG471AH is that it is very versatile, it has a great neck and frets, the pickups are mediocre and bland and that the finish is dangerously thin. Before I bought this I wish I had realized there was a walnut flat finish because it looks much better to me than the natural flat. If this were lost or stolen I might get the same guitar if I was restricted to the same price range. Honestly, I've been looking at replacing this guitar with a Carvin which is, of course, in a whole different price range. I think this guitar would be ideal for neo-classical shred for the guitarist who doesn't like tremolo bridges. It takes low tunings and alternate tunings well, but would benefit immensely from a pickup upgrade.

Unfortunately, this section is where the RG471AH has to lose some points. The finish is very thin, and while I've been very careful and haven't damaged it yet I live in a constant state of anxiety about it. I did not find any imperfections on the guitar when I received it new, but just waiting for it to happen. In the past I've had problems with Ibanez RGs with the hardware oxidizing but so far that hasn't occurred with this specific guitar, so that is a good sign. As far as playability I would trust this guitar for a gig, though I'm not really a gigging musician, I do jam with friends and don't think anything would happen to make this guitar non-functional. I do, however, see a likelihood of damaging the guitar with dents and dings, which I guess if I relax and let it happen then over time it will give the guitar character instead of just look bad. Having only owned this guitar for 3 months I can't give much more detail for durability yet.

The action was pretty low when I received this guitar, but after putting some Ernie Ball Not Even Slinkys on here, I re-adjusted the intonation and neck and got the action even lower Probably close to 1/16th of an inch and no fret buzz. I'm very happy with the action and the neck as being the best qualities of this guitar. The pickups were adjusted properly and no adjustment was needed to their height or angle. I'm not sure what kind of sealant was used on the ash body, but it doesn't really feel like it is giving much protection. It is maybe a very thin matte finish, but I'm not sure. The Ibanez website does not say for sure. I do know that I've heard someone say they've had one of the Ibanez RG471AH's that had spilled some things on it, and it had dyed the wood, which really makes it sound like there is no type of sealant at all. I know the body feels smooth, and I'm not going to spill anything on it to see if it will absorb it and dye the wood. The weight of the guitar isn't bad it isn't extremely heavy and isn't extremely light. The jumbo pickups with this neck profile are great and chords and single notes are extremely easy to fret. As much as I feel nervous about the finish, I am so impressed with the action, neck profile and frets that I have to give this an 8.

The Ibanez RG471AH comes in two separate finishes, the natural flat or walnut flat. I ordered the natural flat because at the time I didn't realize the walnut flat finish was available. I believe mine was manufactured in 2011. The body is ash and the neck is 3 piece maple. The RG471AH has a Wizard III neck with 24 jumbo frets and a 400 mm neck radius, which translates to 15.74 inches. You also get the standard sharktooth inlays that come with the Ibanez RG series on a bound rosewood fretboard. The bridge is a Gibraltar standard bridge, which is a non-tremolo bridge with separate saddles for each string to get the string intonation dialed in exactly right. The strings are through body before feeding into the bridge which gives great sustain. The Ibanez Infinity pickups (which are passive pickups) are two humbuckers with a single coil in the middle. The bridge and middle single coil pickup in the middle are alnico, and the neck humbucker is ceramic. You also have a 5 way pickup selector and one volume and one tone knob. The features I would have liked to have seen on this guitar are some coil splitting switches or a push-pull pot. Also, I would have liked to have seen some other finish options and a pickguard.

Most_Triumphant
    iscreamicecream wrote: Seth Shadows wrote: Fixed bridge. *puke* Yea right..I'll bet you can't play rhythm guitar to save your life.
    Something tells me that he can't play leads to well either if he thinks that fixed bridges are crap.
    Seth Shadows
    I've been playing Guitar for 12 years. All of my current guitars have floating trems and I prefer it. GOD FORBID!
    jmoffitt36
    Just order one yesterday can't wait and yes I got the Fixed Bridge. Never really cared much for Floyd Rose type bridges, especially on cheaper gear. I like to play Slide and go from open to standard tuning a lot. I'm hoping this will by my do all guitar, Clean, Fuzz, OD, High Gain stuff.
    blooddrunk
    the finish looks beautiful and its nice to see an ibanez with a fixed bridge. if youre worried about the finish buy some straplocks. I agree about the pickups though. theyre a joke. my rg is decent but the pickups let it down in a big way. compared to a jackson dinky theyre pathetic.
    jetwash69
    "...The jumbo pickups with this neck profile are great..." Jumbo *frets*??? Anyway, while all my electrics have trems, and half are Floyds/Edges, some folks here do have a valid point that not every guitar has to have a trem. Some people just can't figure them out. Or can't set up amps/effects to get 45+ seconds sustain out of a Floyd Rose. Plus, there are plenty of other RGs available with trems.
    rv_phoenix
    Well, if you want a real Ibanez, I guess you must buy a Prestige model. Very expensive, but very well done.
    Jackie Lawless
    tried one of these guitars about a month ago, i actually found this guitar to be pretty damn good. nice slim neck, big frets, p-ups were pretty clear, nice, light weight. great guitar for 400. i'll buy one when i get the chance.
    timoarthur
    Tried one of these out at GC, loved it, and just put a deposit on one! I'm usually a Fender/Gibson player, but I really dug this Ibanez! I know it's designed for rock, but I won't be playing much rock on it. I play mostly blues, R&B, funk, etc, but this guitar seems very capable of handling those styles of music as it sits. It has a nice clean tone, which is primarily what sold me on it in the end. I will rarely put any heavy distortion on it. I'll usually just play it clean or with some overdrive, wah, or phaser. I also like that it's pretty much just a piece of wood with some pick-ups and a neck. It's just natural in that regard and I like that approach. I also don't use or like locking tremolos, so that's another reason why this Ibanez seems like a good fit for me versus most other Ibanezes.
    MaggaraMarine
    Seth Shadows wrote: Fixed bridge. *puke*
    Don't like Ibanez tremolos and you don't need a whammy bar in all of your guitars. It's good to have on one guitar but not all guitars need whammy bars.