RG4EX1 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG4EX1

I play mostly hard rock and punk with a little metal thrown in, and this guitar is excellent for my style of playing. I'm running it through a Crate XT15R right now, and the sound can be a bit fuzzy at times, but I've checked this on my friend's Marshall and I'm pretty sure it's only the amp. It's rarely noisy, and then it's only on very loud settings. Despite being factory-installed, the pickups are actually good at producing a good range of sounds, from throaty, rumbling lows to screaming loud highs. The bridge pickup is great for a heavy sound, while the neck pickup provides a warm mellow tone that's great for playing clean. I tend not to use the single-coil, so I can't comment on that. My one complaint is that the strings sometimes inexplicably go out of tune, even when the locking nuts are securely fastened.

I absolutely love this guitar! I've been playing for a little over 8 months now, and this is my new pride and joy. I have a B.C. Rich Bronze Warlock that now sits moldering away in the corner of my room because of this baby. I wish I had asked for instructions on how to tune it, as it's my first locking nut tremelo guitar, but it's actually pretty intuitive. If it were stolen, I'd break the widow headstock off my Warlock and jam it up the guy's ass and take my baby home. I love everything about this guitar, but I wouldn't mind trading out the pickups for some Seymour Duncans. I compared this to a Fender American Strat and a Schecter Omen, and it outperformed the two of them, so it's really solid.

This guitar would definitely withstand live playing, and I've already played a couple of shows with it. The hardware is solid as stone, as are the strap buttons, unlike my BC Rich, where the damn things came loose every time I picked it up. I've used it on a gig without a backup, although that was purely out of nessecity (always have a backup). The finish is at least 3 millimeters thick, and I have yet to see a single scratch on it.

The set up on this one was perfect, the action was not too high and not too low, and (once again) the pickups were suprisingly well adjusted. Everything was properly routed, the bookmatching on the top was spot on, and there were no other problems or flaws of any sort.

2000's electric made in Indonesia. 24 frets on a C-shaped neck with rosewood fretboard. Solid top with quilted maple finish, done in the Strat style. Floyd rose bridge. 2 controls - one for volume and one for tone, and a 5-way selector. H/S/H pickup config, with standard factory pickups. Came with floyd rose locking tremelo, allen keys and strap.