RG4EX1 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG4EX1

This guitar isn't tailored to my exact needs (I play blues, classic rock, and classic metal) but it is extremely versatile. The only problem I have is chording, because I am not used to such a wide neck (so I kind of have to hook my hand). I am using this with a Roland Micro Cube, a Yamaha G100-212-II, A Traynor TC-10 and a Vintage Fender Princetone. This guitar produces no hum (at least that I can hear) and it has a wide variety of tones, bright to hot, dark to full, it's amazing the sounds you can get out of this thing.

I play classic rock, classic metal, and the blues, and this is a decent match (like stated before, not as good for chording). I have been playing for 2 years, and I also own a 65 Modified Gibson Les Paul SG Junior (this guitar is not supposed to compete with the SG, but to serve as a guitar that I can use as a workhorse.) If this thing were stolen, I would probably kill myself or find the person Who stole it and utterly destroy them (yes, it is that good). I love the speed of the neck, and the sweet finish, and the pups, and the trem. I just love this thing! My favorite feature would have to be the trem, because this thing bends to the ends of the earth! I compared this to a Jackson Dinky (which was 200 dollars more), a PRS SE Custom (100 dollars more) and a Fender MIM Standard Strat (50 dollars less). The only thing I wish it had was authentic EMGs instead of designed by ones.

This guitar can definitely withstand Live playing. I intentionally received this for taking it to and fro from school (without it costing as much as an SG). I put it to the test this week and it definitaly withstood anything. I would still use a backup at gigs, but then again, at gigs, I use 2-3 different guitars so It really wouldn't matter. The finish seems like it will stay shiny, clean, and good looking for a long time.

The guitar was set up perfectly. It needed minor tuning when I first played it. The action is preety good (I would lower it a bit, but I do that on all my guitars). The pickups were finely adjusted, and there are no visual flawa at all. There seems to be some little white funk around the frets, but that is perfectly normal I suppose.

It's a 2006 model, mine was made in indonesia. This guitar has a large neck with 24 Jumbo frets on a 25 1/2" scale. It has a maple neck with a rosewood fretboard. The neck is extremely thin and wide. It has an Ash body, and a Transperant Grey finish (sweet) on a Quilted Maple Top, however, mine seems to be defected, because it doesn't seem to be an even quilted maple top so i'm not sure about it, its more like a wavy flamed maple top. It has a Standard Strat-style body with larger cutaways on both sides. The bridge is what I believe to be a floyd rose licenced trem, however it may be an EdgeIII bridge. The pickups are H/H/S/H/H, in super-Strat Tradition, an INF3 in the neck position, an INFS3 in the middle position and an INF4 for the bridge pup. I am told that these are EMG-Designed, perfect for rock tones. There are simple controls, a single volume knob and a single tone knob, with a 5-way pickup selecter. The Tunere are non-locking (the tuners them selves, there is a locking nut at the top) but I do not know the exact producer. This guitar has freaking amazing features for the 300-800 dollar price range!

punkrcksk8er182
    this guitar is insane!! i love it and it can go from amazing on clean....to deep and heavy on distortion... love it
    goldbuddist
    if you want a better clean sound, use the bridge pup (gives a good guns n' roses sound) otherwise use the back pup for the distortion METAL sh*t i could list some things about it that can go wrong. The hardware paint on the tremelo wears away You can bust a string if you try to do squeals too high... (i just did today =( Factory action is mostly set too low and buzzes on the 14th fret and after Input jack comes EXTREMELY loose after awhile and is difficult to lock it back tight Otherwise, this guitar is the TITS!!!