RG4EX1 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG4EX1

I play rock, hard rock, metal, and punk and this guitar is awesome at them all. I am currently using a Crate amp (not sure of the watts) and a Vox tube amp and it sounds excellent on them all. I've also tried it out on a Fender G-DEC and Marshall amps and it sounds really good there too. For effects I sometimes use a Boss Metal Zone pedal and it keeps a great tone with it. As long as you don't bang it around a lot it stays pretty quiet, sometimes it gets a little humming sound while using the center pickup by itself but even that is hard to hear. Its sound is really rich and full and it's easy to make sound different to make it lower or higher. It can make just about any sound you want your guitar to make, which is nice for the killer solos on stage.

For the type of music I play this guitar is a great match. I've been playing for about 5 to 6 years and also own a Galveston electric aucoustic, and Washburn X-series. There's nothing you need to buy before getting this guitar, unless you're a beginner and don't have anything. If I lost this Ibanez I would deffinitly buy it again it kicks some serious ass. I really love the Floyd Rose tremolo system and the great sound quality of this guitar. Before purchasing this guitar I had compared it to a Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, B.C. Rich Warbeast, Epiphone Les Paul, and an Epiphone SG. I chose this guitar because it has a really nice feel to it, and the sound is awesome, I do wish it had active pickups but it's easy to install them yourself or just to take it to get them installed at a shop so that's no biggy.

This guitar can deffinetly with stand live playing it's really awesome to play on stage. The hardware will deffinetly last as long as you don't use the wrong tools for stuff, or turn screaw to tight. I'm sure this guitar is dependable, I could diffenitly use it in a gig without a backup guitar. The finish on this guitar is really good and will diffenitly last.

The guitar was set up pretty well at the factory the action was a little higher than what I like though. The front and rear pickups were set up nicely I needed to make the center pickup just a little lower though. Everyting else with the finish and bridge and stuff was all perfect, no flaws or anything.

I'm not sure the year it was made but it was made in like Japan or Taiwan or something. It has 22 frets and the fretbord was made of maple or mahogany but it feels really nice. The finish was like simmering blue flames it looks really cool. The body is similiar to a Strat but thinner and lighter, the bridge is a Floyd Rose. The electronics are passive but it still gives a great sound. It gave the standard volume and tone controls, and a 5-way selector. The pickups themselves were very nice, there was a front, rear, and center pickups, I am not sure fo the model or make though. The tuners are non-locking I believe and I am not sure of the brand but they work nicely which is all I give the shit about.