RG4EXFM1 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG4EXFM1

I play mostly metal and shred, but adapt well to any style exept for rap and country. This guitar can handle most styles of music well, and has a very defined tone that is especially well suited to more lead and virtuosic styles. I mostly use it with my line six spider 3 15 watt, but have also used it through a peavy valve king and vyper, Bugera 6260, and a Marshall JCM 2000. I typically use a little reverb and slight (very slight) delay. This guitar works its best at overdriven and distorted settings, however it can do cleans very nicely. It has good treble response, with a very distinctive midrange bark. Its bass response is very sensitive, and you may have to play with your knob to get just the right amount. It is a very versitile guitar, but the pickups leave alot to be desired. They are at times noisy, feedback often, and tend to muddy as more midrange or distortion is added. I am going to replace them soon with a set of Seymour Duncan blackouts, which cleared up these problems when I used them on my other guitar. Its sound is good after some tweaking, but the pickups were dissapointing.

This is great lead guitar, but I would reccomend replacing the pickups with your prefered ones as soon as possible. I have been playing for about 3 years, and have had a Gibson SG Special and a V I made myself. If this guitar were stolen I would buy it again, or I might save up for a Higher end prestige model. I love its inherent sound, but I hate the pickups in it. My favorite feature is the tremolo, even if it takes some extra effort to re string.

I have used this guitar at two gigs, it held up well, stays in tune, and I can depend on it. I never gig without a backup. I replaced the small strap buttons immediately. The chrome parts of the hardware are extremely durable, but the black panted parts wear down to the copper after extended playing. The pole pieces on the stupid pickups have rusted to quickly, though this may be due to my overly sweaty hands.

This guitar came set up remarkably well, with the only problem initially being a loose input jack. The pickups were adjusted well, even if they are crap. The top was bookmatched correctly, and the finish has only accrued light pick scratches since i got it.

This is a 2009 made in indonesia. It has 24 jumbo frets on a rosewood fingerboard with a 3-piece maple neck and a 25.5 inch scale. The bolt on neck with its cutaway is easy access to the frets. It has a solid flamed maple top with a basswood body and a transpaent greybust finish with transparent grey on the back and sides, with black plastic cavity covers and metal dome knobs with chrome mounting rings. It is a superstrat body style, with the RG's more pointed horns, and an edge III double locking bridge. It has an INF3 humbucker in the neck, an INFS3 single-coil in the middle, an INF4 in the bridge, and a 5-way pickup selector Switch. It has a 1-vol,1-tone configuration. Its tuners are Ibanez die cast and it has a Floyd Rose style locking nut. It came with a tremolo bar and 2 allen wrences for the tremolo.